? for those that have coolant filter - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_pushcat, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1310 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

? for those that have coolant filter

Does your overflow level get higher when your coolant filter is plugged? I noticed mine today was almost to the top of the overflow so I changed the filter and went for a drive and its back down where it needs to be. Could there be something else other than filter being plugged to cause the coolant level to rise?

I have SCT tuner, Spearco Intercooler, 4" exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
The coolant filters are bypass systems. When the filter plugs up, the flow into it should stop and the system revert back to working like it did before you installed the filter system...

The only way I could see the system appearing to be overfilled would be if there were some sort of vacuum created that "sucked the fluid out of the filter cannister but I don't think that should happen.....

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Speed Junkie

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
Mine has never done that before. However, I've never left my filter on long enough to clog either.

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke
GTP 38R w/WW2, Ford AIS intake w/Zoodad, PIS 175/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, RiffRaff FRX, Magnaflow TBE, IH up pipes, DP-Tuner F6 custom tuned, Bilstein shocks, 05 Harley HL with HID conversion, Edge Insight CS, EBPV delete, Dieselsite BRV, Factory 20" wheels, Dieselsite turbo boots, AIH delete

2008 Subaru WRX STI
305whp/369wtq
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushcat
Does your overflow level get higher when your coolant filter is plugged? I noticed mine today was almost to the top of the overflow so I changed the filter and went for a drive and its back down where it needs to be. Could there be something else other than filter being plugged to cause the coolant level to rise?

I have SCT tuner, Spearco Intercooler, 4" exhaust.
Mine did!!!! When i installed my coolant filter kit last week i had no coolant loss so i did not put anymore coolant in.I wanted to first check it before i added some coolant.So i started the truck and let it idle for a few min.Then when i checked it was over the full line:shrug: .I have been checking it every day and it still is over the full line.I thought when i started the truck and the lines,filter filled up that my coolant would be lower but it was higher:shrug: Dont under stand it but i've been keepin an eye on it.It makes no sense to me so if someone has an answer please let me know.Thanks :Thumbup:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM

Somehow air is stuck in the system is the only thing I can think of. Sometimes when opening a cooling system for repairs, air will get trapped in the cooling system on some vehicles. I would try cracking the pressure out of the degas cap after a full warm up drive with the heater on, be careful though and use some rags so as not to burn yourself, may have to do this a few times to bleed out all the air.

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM

I would agree, run the heater when you drive, after all it is the line the filter gets spliced into, so if you have trapped air I would start with the heater. Also won't the coolant level rise if you check it when the engine is warm? I would think it expands when hot etc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That's the funny thing though I have around 5000 miles on this fitler. When I changed it, it didn't have the nasty slimmy sludge you see in sum others. It just had some sand and small square black particules.:shrug:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkyhunter
I would agree, run the heater when you drive, after all it is the line the filter gets spliced into, so if you have trapped air I would start with the heater. Also won't the coolant level rise if you check it when the engine is warm? I would think it expands when hot etc.
Just cheked mine again When the truck is hot its over the fill line but when its cold its under the line .I called bill w/ dfuser and he said the same thing,thanks to bill he is alot of help every time i call him:Thumbup: .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 03:32 PM

when you install the kit do u loose any coolant? i have 13k on my f250 should i replace the coolant? does it come with longlife coolant?

can i replace it with anoother brand of coolant?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07six-o
Just cheked mine again When the truck is hot its over the fill line but when its cold its under the line .I called bill w/ dfuser and he said the same thing,thanks to bill he is alot of help every time i call him:Thumbup: .
Just don,t fill it above the low mark and did you fill your filter up before you spun it into place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode