EGR system - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by droolinforparts, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1979 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to droolinforparts
EGR system

Just pulled the egr valve out for the first time and it was soked and covered in soot(got pics if any one wants to see but i will need to figure out how to post them)...i have herd that means a bad egr cooler so how do you delete the whole system completly?

'03 F250 XL 6.0LK&N intake, mbrp 5" stacks, SCT X3 with tunes from innovative, 6" superlift, 315-75r-16,boost, pyro, fuel pressure, oil pressure gauges all in the a-pillar,h-11 studs, short throw shifter,fass 95/150 with complete custom fuel lines, south bend clutch, traction bars
Singles #118
B.O.M.B Squad #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I Wanna Go Fast!

To completely get rid of it take off the manifold cut off the ports and weld them shut then take off your up-pipe and weld it shut.

Just another 6leaker Thanks to RCD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVhcfZN3jw
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok...i am only 17...so what is involved in doing the whole delete...my dad has been welding for 35 years so i have that part covered
thanks

'03 F250 XL 6.0LK&N intake, mbrp 5" stacks, SCT X3 with tunes from innovative, 6" superlift, 315-75r-16,boost, pyro, fuel pressure, oil pressure gauges all in the a-pillar,h-11 studs, short throw shifter,fass 95/150 with complete custom fuel lines, south bend clutch, traction bars
Singles #118
B.O.M.B Squad #28
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Does anyone have pics of which ports to cut off of the manifold? thanks in advance

Singles #118
B.O.M.B Squad #28
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentos
To completely get rid of it take off the manifold cut off the ports and weld them shut then take off your up-pipe and weld it shut.
WOAH!

That only deals with the exhaust portion, you will still have coolant flowing thru the system, and if you REMOVE the EGr cooler, you need a way to get the coolant from the oil cooler outlet to the intake and back to the front cover.

I should also point out that removing or disabeling the EGR system can actually CAUSE headgasket faulires. Yup, cause it, not prevent it.

EGR does two very important things, and these are often overlooked when tuning.

1) It absorbs the temperature spike from the initial combustion process, in this way EGR helps keep the PEAK cylinder temperatures down. In fact, it is temperatures aver about 2000*F that cause the formation of NOx, which is the reason for EGR to begin with.

2) It dilutes the air in the cylinder, and this slows the combustion process so you get more uniform cylinder PRESSURES.

Deleting EGR can and will cause spikes in both combustion temperature and pressure, which can ultimately lead to failures.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok speaking of the oil cooler i have heard that the oil cooler is crap to and should be replaced with an external air cooled one is it worth it and then how much harder would it be to pipe the coolant back to where it needs to go? thanks

Singles #118
B.O.M.B Squad #28
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

You effective cannot "replace" the stock oil cooler. By removing it you open the oil and cooling systems with nothing to put in the place of the stock cooler.

The stock cooler is far from junk, but they do get clogged if you get contaminated coolant or debris in it. This is not because the cooler is defective or poorly engineered, but because the cooling system has stuff in it that should not be there (incorrect coolant, debris etc).

I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Do you now of anyone that has done a complete delete of the egr system?

Singles #118
B.O.M.B Squad #28
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, a few members of TDG have. You gotta be REALLY careful with the tuning though, or the cylinder pressures will get you.

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:02 PM

[2) It dilutes the air in the cylinder, and this slows the combustion process so you get more uniform cylinder PRESSURES.]

I was unaware of this fact. Since egr is on at cruising speeds, which the engine is used at the most, this makes sense in the long run. However, at wide open throttle, egr is shut off, would'nt the cylinder pressures/spikes be the highest?

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode