I'm a retarded newbie - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kizzzottt, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 1595 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

I'm a retarded newbie

But besides that....I just bought a new truck with a bunch of Banks add ons...(Yeah...I know...They're junk). Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if my truck has a Banks 6 Gun on it.

Where do I look to find out if it has the module?

I bought the truck used with a Banks exhaust, Banks intake manifold and a Banks Ram Air......so my guess is that if the truck does have a programmer on it...it's gonna be a Banks, right?

But, the only problem is that I am new to these trucks and have no idea of where to look to see if it is actually equipped with the tuner.

After doing some research, I am pretty dead set on going with a SCT Tune.

I plan on doing a lot of highway driving and towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 AM

if it has a six gun on it it will be plugged into the pcm which is behind the drivers side battery. it will be a red box with black cables. one connector will be into pcm middle connector and the factory connector will be plugged into it. so if the middle connector in the pcm has all black wires in it just fallow the wires youll find it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I Wanna Go Fast!

also you will have either a little six position turn dial, or a palm pilot display module in the cab to controll it.

Just another 6leaker Thanks to RCD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVhcfZN3jw
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM

bunch of Banks add ons...(Yeah...I know...They're junk).

Actually, I think the Banks exhaust and intake stuff is pretty good. It's only his 6.0 programmers that I've heard some people have trouble with, but then again some people don't. I like the Banks exhaust system that I have on my truck, its quiet and it fit like a glove when installing. Just my opinion. Like everyones said so far, if you don't see any dials or display module in the cab, then likely it's been removed before you got the truck, or it never had one. Does your truck have gauges installed (pyro+boost)? Usually, if it already has gauges, then it likely had a programmer as well. If you don't have gauges, I would recommend you get them, especially for towing and a programmer.

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Floor it haha. If it takes off then you have a programmer! But really, look for the connector box and wires. The banks stuff on the truck now are not bad, get some SCT tunning and the madness begins
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I like beer.

Send a message via AIM to NukleusX Send a message via Yahoo to NukleusX
Gotta throw in my $.02 on this one. As Harry said above, not all Banks products are crap. Granted we all badmouth em, we have a reason. It is those people out there with the banks products who think they have a super truck, though dont realize they do have something good but paid too much, and could have got a better programmer for cheaper.

That said, the banks hardware is some OK stuff though overpriced. I have seen this all first hand on my dads truck- the exhaust is nice, has a sweet tone to it (though still overpriced). The IC helps keep the EGTs down, not sure the price diff between banks and competitors. He does not have the intake from them though.

Jeremy
94 Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB.
Power: BHAF, 4" exhaust, S300G, 15.5*, 100 plate, 90 hp sticks, 191 dvs, Mike L. trans. more when i remember.
Appearance: 1 pc headlights, HIDs, 4.5" lift, flippy mirrors (up), not so chrome 6" silverline exhaust tip, not so fancy aftermarket wheels
American Club #33
Singles Club #74
TDG Mafia #111

http://www.socaldieseltrucks.com
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, I looked under the hood and there is no programmer. The truck has about a 2-3 second lag time from when the pedal is floored to when the truck actually starts going anywhere.

I plan on using the truck for interstate hauling (about 10,000lbs). The truck currently has 37's on it with a 6 inch lift or so. That will be the first thing to go.

If I were to install a 3-4 inch lift, how big of tires can I run. The truck has 20's on it now w/ 37X13.5's......They are just too big for my tastes.

They look great but are just not practical for what I am going to do with the truck.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 AM
MAFIA #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzzottt
Well, I looked under the hood and there is no programmer. The truck has about a 2-3 second lag time from when the pedal is floored to when the truck actually starts going anywhere.

I plan on using the truck for interstate hauling (about 10,000lbs). The truck currently has 37's on it with a 6 inch lift or so. That will be the first thing to go.

If I were to install a 3-4 inch lift, how big of tires can I run. The truck has 20's on it now w/ 37X13.5's......They are just too big for my tastes.

They look great but are just not practical for what I am going to do with the truck.
w/ a 3-4" lift then you could still fit 35" tires...

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:

What kind of wheels and tires are on that rig? Post some pics!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Still kickin

Quote:
The truck currently has 37's on it with a 6 inch lift or so. That will be the first thing to go.
What year is the truck, wanna trade?

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode