The Diesel Garage banner

Anyone changed their STC fitting?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  machine 
#1 ·
I'm heading out on a long trip towing my 5ver with the family memorial day weekend and I want to change the STC fitting myself so I dont get stranded out in the middle of nowhere. The previous year I used my brother-in-laws 05 Ford and the fitting gave out on this same trip. His truck had 45K on the clock. So does mine and I've heard it's the average mileage these things let go.

Anyone have instructions as to what needs to come off besides the turbo? I already have the new one piece fitting, I would like to know any tricks to doing this so I don't take off a bunch of stuff I dont need to.

#2 ·
Presuming you have an 05 (since that was the only year affected by the faulty STC), you still have some warranty left.... Why not take it in to Ford, tell them it is not wanting to start when hot, explain that you know where this is headed (your brother-in-law's experience and your knowledge of a known problem) and see if they won't change it for you......

#3 ·
Tried that. They said no dice, I'd have to wait until it failed. I asked all of the dealers around me and they all refused. Not that I blame them, they want to make sure they get paid.

#5 ·
STC = Snap-To-Connect fitting on the HPO system. It was faulty from the factory, and would break. Ford revised the part, and built a bracket.

#9 ·
So it is possible to do it without removing the intake. That's good. I guess it would be a great excuse to delete the EGR cooler but I don't think I have the funds to do it right now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.