2010 Dodge 2500 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Kiddyextreme, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1994 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

2010 Dodge 2500

Well I finally broke down and got rid of my 06 Ford F-350 with 6.0 powerstroke. I picked up a 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7 6-spd automatic Big Horn Edition Crew Cab Short Bed Black in color. With only 100 miles on the clock I am very impressed with the power of the 6.7 Cummins.

Since I've never owned a Cummins I have a few questions. Have there been many common problems with the 6.7 that I should address right away or consider? Is the deletion of the DPF and EGR recommended? Are the automatic transmissions holding up to additional power? I plan to add a tuner eventually. What are some recommendations for intakes, exhaust/delete kits, tuners, fuel pumps, injectors, turbos, etc?

I had the following on the Ford and would eventually like to get the Dodge to the same level if not higher: Gauges, AFE Stage II, Silverline 4" exhaust, 180cc injectors, 66/71 S300 (briefly), ARP Head Studs, ITP Regulated Return, FASS 150/180 and SCT Custom Tuning.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I've searched briefly through the forum prior to posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddyextreme View Post
Well I finally broke down and got rid of my 06 Ford F-350 with 6.0 powerstroke. I picked up a 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7 6-spd automatic Big Horn Edition Crew Cab Short Bed Black in color. With only 100 miles on the clock I am very impressed with the power of the 6.7 Cummins.

Since I've never owned a Cummins I have a few questions. Have there been many common problems with the 6.7 that I should address right away or consider? Is the deletion of the DPF and EGR recommended? Are the automatic transmissions holding up to additional power? I plan to add a tuner eventually. What are some recommendations for intakes, exhaust/delete kits, tuners, fuel pumps, injectors, turbos, etc?

I had the following on the Ford and would eventually like to get the Dodge to the same level if not higher: Gauges, AFE Stage II, Silverline 4" exhaust, 180cc injectors, 66/71 S300 (briefly), ARP Head Studs, ITP Regulated Return, FASS 150/180 and SCT Custom Tuning.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I've searched briefly through the forum prior to posting.

As far as I am aware the 2010s have not had any where near the issues the 07/08s had. Im not sure as to mileage reports yet on the new 2010s though. Most everyone will tell you to delete the junk to get the best end result. What are you looking to do with the truck, its gonna make a difference as to how you go about modding the rig? One note as well, if you ditch your factory turbo you will lose your exhaust brake. Give me some details of what your looking to do and I will post some mods for you to look at.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" -Townsend Whelen

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Edge Insight CTS / Line-X / Access Bed Cover
B&W Turnover Ball / Companion Hitch
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon/ Tuned with some toys.
2016 Keystone Impact 311 Toyhauler

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I would like to do the following to get started:
Intake, Exhaust, EGR/Cooler Delete, DPF Delete, and H&S Tuner. I'm not really looking for serious power right out of the gate but may want to add some more to the tune of fuel pump, injectors, turbo, etc. at a later date. I'm more interested in getting more MPG and making the Cummins reliable to start. At what point are head studs a necessity as power increases? How much power can the stock transmission hold? Thanks.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddyextreme View Post
I would like to do the following to get started:
Intake, Exhaust, EGR/Cooler Delete, DPF Delete, and H&S Tuner. I'm not really looking for serious power right out of the gate but may want to add some more to the tune of fuel pump, injectors, turbo, etc. at a later date. I'm more interested in getting more MPG and making the Cummins reliable to start. At what point are head studs a necessity as power increases? How much power can the stock transmission hold? Thanks.
You have all of the basic covered to pick up some mileage and power plus add soe lift to your motor and turbo. That is a solid setup and you should be fine if you run the 120 tunes. If you plan to run bigger tunes alot I would do the following. Because of the high drive pressure that is created because of the VGT turbo I would suggest a waste gate kit next and after that a set of ARP 425's.

In stock form the 68rfe has been holding 450+ in alot of trucks. I would suggest going with a Mini Maxx or Black Maxx both for the gauges as well as the tranny tuning option to hold more power.

2010 CCSB Laramie Ram 2500 4x4