ScanGauge II on a 6.7L Cummins - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by neeltburn, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 6035 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
ScanGauge II on a 6.7L Cummins

So I have been wanting a way to monitor Rail Pressure, I was playing on line here tonight and saw that the Linear Logic ScanGauge II supports Rail Pressure for our trucks. I called the Local Autozoo and in 20 minutes I was back on with it to get it setup. Now I have a way to monitor Fuel Rail Press. and a host of other options. What I did not need was a Pyro, Boost, Trans, and Lift Pump I have them already. This at the standard advertised price of 159.99 was the cheapest option I could find for a rail pressure. Tonight I tested the following gauge parameters. Voltage, FRP ( Fuel Rail Press) IAT or Intake Air Temp and Coolant Temp. I can confirm that these do work in my 2007.5 6.7L I Did try to program the Xguage Data for Trans Temp just to see if it works and unless my trans is stuck at 58* it does not work on my 6.7L so I may revisit this at a later time. I finished the Setup after I got back from my test run and found that it can also monitor boost pressure so I plan to test that in the morning on the way to work to see how close it is to my Autometer C2 Full Sweep Electric gauge. I plan to test the MPG calculator as I hand Calc every tank, the hardest part will be actually not filling the tank until 1/4 for 2 tanks. ( I don't like less than a half of a tank) I will also be researching for more XGauge Perimeters for our trucks. I will try and keep this updated while I get it going and plan to test it for some time. For the money it seems like a well thought out product and seems to work pretty good for all 45min I have played with it. I will also be the first to say I am not a fan of monitors, but the cost savings got me here. I will try and not let that sway my review. I will also say it does update pretty quick.

So here is an overview of the ScanGauage II by Linear Logic.

Trip Computer
Digital Gauge Monitor
Scan Tool

It can be found at www.Scangauge.com

I will post pics later truck was WAY to messy for photo op tonight.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" -Townsend Whelen

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Edge Insight CTS / Line-X / Access Bed Cover
B&W Turnover Ball / Companion Hitch
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon/ Tuned with some toys.
2016 Keystone Impact 311 Toyhauler

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
The Following User Says Thank You to neeltburn For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (09-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Programming in the x-gauge features is hardest part, but once they are coded in they are always there to scroll through. I found that if I print out or write down the x-gauge coding sequence and have it next to me while entering the coding makes it much easier. I've had my ScanGauge2 for years now and it has been flawless. The 6.0 Powerstroke crowd like me, likes to monitor engine oil and coolant temps and fuel injection control module voltages and high pressure oil system pressures the most, something the ScanGauge2 does and many other scan tools do not. This little device does much more though, such as fault code reading and clearing, fuel mileage calculating and so on. Once its all set up to the gauges/readings you want to monitor, you will likely find yourself reading them more often than you think, as it allows you to know alot more of whats going on in your engine and transmission under different load conditions.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
ADMIN/MAFIA
Threadstarter

Garage
It took me a minute to get programming the X-Gauge feature for Rail Press, but when I tried the code for the trans it was much easier.

As far as the Boost readings go here is what I saw this morning. My Autometer gauge would show about 3 psi less than the Scan Gauge II. So either the boost fooling in the tune from my smarty jr is added to the Scan Guage data or my Autometer sensor in the intake has took a dump on me again. I am not sure, so I will most likely replace my Full Sweep Electric boost gauge with an Autometer C2 mechainical gauge.

What I need help understanding, On the First tank fill, do you have to wait until 1/4 of a tank?

On the second tank I know you are supposed to fill it around 1/4 of a tank and add the ammount of fuel you took on. Now after that do you need to edit the ammount of fuel you add each time?

I also like the Idea of being able to mointor Coolant temp.

I will most likely have more questions for you Harry, but so far I am likeing it. I have also thought about trying either Rex-X or Archoil AR9100 during my next oil change but that will be a different thread.

6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
The Following User Says Thank You to neeltburn For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (09-13-2012)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM

I still hand calculate my mileage, and have not used the fuel mileage calculator in my SG2. I'm sure someone on here has though, I will look into it further and let you know if I come up with any helpful insight. Got to go to work right now, I'll get back with you later.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeltburn View Post
It took me a minute to get programming the X-Gauge feature for Rail Press, but when I tried the code for the trans it was much easier.

As far as the Boost readings go here is what I saw this morning. My Autometer gauge would show about 3 psi less than the Scan Gauge II. So either the boost fooling in the tune from my smarty jr is added to the Scan Guage data or my Autometer sensor in the intake has took a dump on me again. I am not sure, so I will most likely replace my Full Sweep Electric boost gauge with an Autometer C2 mechainical gauge.

What I need help understanding, On the First tank fill, do you have to wait until 1/4 of a tank?

On the second tank I know you are supposed to fill it around 1/4 of a tank and add the ammount of fuel you took on. Now after that do you need to edit the ammount of fuel you add each time?

I also like the Idea of being able to mointor Coolant temp.

I will most likely have more questions for you Harry, but so far I am likeing it. I have also thought about trying either Rex-X or Archoil AR9100 during my next oil change but that will be a different thread.

Go with the Archoil. I've used both and Archoil made the most improvements. I love my scangauge and sold my auto enginuity because all the data in th scg2 will warn me of pretty much all issues and no laptop required. Got mine at auto anything .com for $137 with free shipping. Not sure I'm using my mpg average correct so I need to check that again. Boost is off a few too but I want to recode it again.

Wes

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld engineer For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (09-14-2012)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
ADMIN/MAFIA
Threadstarter

Garage
I had to recode the Rail Press Command on saturday. On the highway it froze and rail pressure and boost stoped working. I reset the command and changed the update rate to Normal from Fast. I beleive the update rate on fast is what caused it to freeze. I also got fuel at a half of a tank so I am interested to see if it will still work.

6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
ADMIN/MAFIA
Threadstarter

Garage
on Monday I lost the reading for Rail Pressure and Boost again, this time I just shut the truck off and restarted and it seems to work. I am not sure why it is doing that. I have test this with my lap top and AE and it always updates, so I do not this its the OBDII port but some type of glitch in the scan gauge II who knows it may never do it again.

6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:06 AM

Garage
I would shoot LL an email sounds strange OBD-II is a automotive standard CAN-bus system and all the scg2 does is listen to the data on the bus.
Gauge may be faulty or the coding is not quite right.
http://www.scangauge.com/about/contact-us/

Wes

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode