Rear End trouble please input needed - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by goatman1419, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1381 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Rear End trouble please input needed

Ok having a leak at rear hub on passenger side. First changed seal put back together still leaking. Then changed seal both bearings now its still leaking. Could the hub be bad? Anyone else have this problem? Im about to pull my hair out with this only have 100,000 but i do pull heavy loads but this is boggling my mind??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman1419 View Post
Ok having a leak at rear hub on passenger side. First changed seal put back together still leaking. Then changed seal both bearings now its still leaking. Could the hub be bad? Anyone else have this problem? Im about to pull my hair out with this only have 100,000 but i do pull heavy loads but this is boggling my mind??
If your truck has full floating axles:

Any ridge or groove cut into the sealing surface of the rear axle housing? Is there a flattened area on the bottom of the sealing surface from wear such as repeated pounding of heavy loading? You can usually feel a ridge if this is present. When replacing seals, do you apply a thin layer of silicone sealant to the outer perimeter of the seal before driving it into the hub bore? Are you preloading the bearings correctly before installing the axles? If there is a simple groove cut into the sealing surface, a "speedi sleeve" may be available for your application.

If you truck does not have full floating axles:

Before driving the seal into the bore lightly coat the outer circumference with silicone sealant. Look very closely at the axle shaft area where the seal rides for any ridge. If there is a ridge, or groove, the axle is best replaced. I don't like welding up and grinding axle shafts at all.

In any case grease the sealing lip before putting anything back together so the seal doesn't burn up from lack of lubrication against it's mating surface. A thin layer of chassis grease is good as is rear axle lubricant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backslap For this addition to TDG:
goatman1419 (09-13-2013)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Sorry have an 08 2500 I think comes with Dana 70 free floating axle. Im going to tear it down tomorrow and throughly inspect parts you stated. Also I put axle nut back on by "feel" didnt know they had a socket to fit that and that it needed to be torqued. Im thinking thats my problem. Thanks for the input ill post my findings tomorrow!!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Aimless Wanderer

If the bearing stays on the axle as you remove it from the truck, ensure there is no axial movement, being loose or sloppy. If there is any movement it can bypass the sealing effect of the rubber seal lips.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok wanted to wait to post till I had about 1000 miles on new seal. So I broke down hub ect. Really inspected everything. Had two nicks in seal seating on hub plus had some rust spots on axle where seal sits. Took 1000 grit sand paper and sanded rust off and sanded down sharp edges of nicks. Put rtv on sides and back of seal plus put grease on axle and inside seal itself. Carefully put everything back together and think I have it whooped. Advise from me....take your time and inspect everything first time and apply grease a lot of it. Rust on axle I think was causing me the trouble but couldnt just notice it had to really look and feel. Thanks guys havent let me down yet
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Oh and you HAVE to use torque wrench and socket to tighten hub nut!! Havent changed one in years use to just go by feel well my feel was about 4 complete turns off. No cheating on this one folks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode