Lots of Questions??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by clarkb, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 2899 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Lots of Questions???

I am new to the site and since all the threads were messed up, I have a few questions for yall.
I have the 2007.5 6.7. The check engine light always comes on and the dealer told me its the egr and dpf. But they told me if I got rid of all that that he would still warranty everything w/ no problems.

So my queations are:
If I do the EGR Plate, do I need to do the DPF delete too?
Where is the best place to get the EGR delete kit?
Will my MPG and HP improve?
What else do I need to do?
I have a buddy that owns an exhaust shop and can build the pipe to get rid of the DPF and put the plug(sensor) back in. But will I still get the check engine light if I dont have a programmer?
I am a poor Military man and cant afford to buy $2000 worth of stuff for my truck right now but dont like taking my truck in every month either. And the extra sound plus MPG plus Hp's can always be used...lol
Thanks for the help.
B.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM

alright then... welcome to the site. there is a ton of info out there on what can and should be done to the 6.7. your best and most economical way to go is to get the egr delete kit, and delete your dpf. i personally would do the dpf delete first then the egr. i'll paste a link below to kevin's site, k2diesel. he's great to deal with. doing the egr cooler is optional (i did mine). yes, you will get codes from the egr and dpf deletes. the easiest, but most expensive way to clear them is with either the edge/attitude or bullydog pmt. both of those clear the codes at start up automatically. or you can use a simple code reader, for probably under $100. you'll have to manually clear the codes each time you start the truck though. or, a small piece of electrical tape over the cel. last but not least, live with the light. it's a soft code, so performance is unaffected. your not going to gain much if any sound with that setup though. you'll still have the cat, nox filter, and muffler in line. with my setup, my mpg went up 5 or so overnight. it was a great bonus for me. i really did the deletes to stop visiting my dealer. as often as i was seeing him, you'd think he was selling crack!! anyway, with no tuner, you will see a slight performance gain. truck will be more responsive down low with less turbo lag. once i started adding and deleting stuff, it was (is) hard to stop! here's the link. give us a shout if you need more info.

http://www.shop.k2dieselperformance....?categoryId=25
The Following User Says Thank You to mastercaster For this addition to TDG:
clarkb (01-05-2009)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What is the egr cooler?
I already pulled the muffler off when I first got the truck trying to make it sound like my 5.9... But it didn't work of-course.
Should I get rid of the cat too. Or will that cause more problems?
I thought somebody sold a kit that would stop the cel from coming on when you did the DPF delete. But I guess I can live with the cel until I get the money to get the programmer.
Can we remove the silencer ring on the tubro like the older ones. Does it do anything for it?

matercaster-----Thanks for all the help.
B.J.

Last edited by clarkb; 01-05-2009 at 07:19 PM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM

The egr cooler is on the top left side of your motor and is a large rectangular piece. It's about 18"-20" long x maybe 6" square. It cools the exhaust recirculation gasses. Just follow the crossover tube from the egr valve that runs on the top front side of the motor and it'll lead you to the cooler. Deleting the cooler is optional, because once the egr valve is deleted, there are no gasses going to it. So really removing it just cleans up the engine bay and you lose a little weight. I did get a little stronger and louder exhaust brake after removing mine. Removing the cat won't hurt a thing. My exhaust is straight 5" stainless from the turbo back. No cat, nox filter, dpf, or muffler. There are code free dpf delete kits, but they have had their issues. I would stick with the 1st gen kits. Your going to get a code when you delete the egr kit anyway, so you may as well save the money and skip the code free kit since you'll have the cel no matter. Take the savings and either pocket the money or put it towards a programmer to delete the codes. As far as the silencer ring, the consensus says don't remove it. Not only is it much harder to remove (drilling pins) than the 5.9, but it's supossed to direct and funnel the air more efficiently to the turbo. If you want more whistle, get a cold air intake. I like my S&B as many other run it and like it too. The other big one run is the AFE Mega-cannon. It also gets high marks. Doing these things will cost some coin, but your truck will love you for it, and you'll most definitely love your truck more! You'll increase the engine life, performance, fuel mileage and dependability.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 AM

You are a pefect canidate for a dpf-r system. If your buddy will build the pipe, and put the O2 bungs in, you can buy just the foolers from dpf-r. I'm running it without a chip or tune, and have no codes. I got my egr plate on ebay. Keven's are just as good, but not as pretty. Kevens are cheaper, and come with gaskets though. The first link is for dpf-r. I got mine from Kenny at KTPerformance. He's a sponcer here on the forum. The second link is to the egr plates on ebay. Then a pic of mine.
http://www.dpf-r.com/index.php
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-7L-...4506.m20.l1116

12 mega dually. garbage gone. mini with od.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy For this addition to TDG:
clarkb (01-29-2009)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 AM

I just read the rest of your post, and thought I would add you can get the dpf-r kit, and egr plates for under 600 bucks. Maybe even closer to 500 bucks. Then whatever the pipe cost you.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 AM

i actually have the same egr valve cover that you do fuzzy. well almost. mine says "cummins racing" on it. it's hard to beat the look of those though. for the egr cooler delete i went with kevin.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 AM

Yea, Keven is the only one I know with cooler delete plates. I haven't done my cooler, and don't think I'm gonna. Seems to have some cold whether issues.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 AM
FSD

Does anyone make a thin plate that can be inserted in between the erg and the manifold? That way the egr can be put back on and everything looks correct at a quick glance? I have on my 6.0 and the egr is still there, it just cant do anything. What do you do with the egr when you remove it? Just unplug it and leave the wire harness? Thanks.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM

H&S does. Not sure you can just buy the plates from them though. Usually they just throw them in with a dpf delete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode