diehard Ford guy making a Jump???? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wftree, this thread has received 40 replies and been viewed 3224 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
what does not kill you ..

Question diehard Ford guy making a Jump????

I bought my dream truck, 99.5 F450 crew cab dump. It is nice to dream. I have had a series of problems and now have a cracked block on my 22 month old reman engine. I am in Western New York and the truck is sitting in Ocala FLA.

I am going to have it towed back here to get the engine replaced, my local shop will do it under warranty no questions asked but the shop in Ocala is going to call in a ford rep for authorization. I know it will be denied based upon the mods I have done.

My local shop is a "Level 1" shop and does not need a Ford rep to look at it.

I am thinking of trying a Dodge, and you have no idea how hard it is to say that. I have always bought Fords since my first one a 67 F100 with a 240 straight 6 and "3 on the tree" tranny. My 96 7.3 went 256,000 miles with only a new tranny, it never let me down. I sold it and last I heard it was still running.

I tow alot. 14000 lbs horse trailer all over the east coast.

Is the dodge going to make me happy??? I am deciding between a 6.4 Ford and a 6.7 Dodge, cant do a chevy, sorry chevy guys

Also I usually run a standard tranny, I have heard bad things about the dodge 6 speed,

HELP ME DECIDE

wftree

1999.5 F450 CC 4x4 315HP/709tq 6 speed with BD short shifter; DP chip: stock, , high idle, 40tow, 80econo, 80 tow, 100, 140,South Bend clutch; ported BB turbo; SPEARCO 6.0 charge air cooler; pop off valve; dieselsite I/C boots; 203 degree thermostat; pillar mounted pyro, boost coolant temp guages; HX hose; shimmed regulator; Tymar intake; zoodad; 4" DP to 4" exhaust to Aeroturbine muffler to 4" chrome stack; Dahl 100 heated fuel filter; in tank/pre pump mod, Hella FF driving & fog lights, Ford of Ocala SUCKS!
WORK TRUCKS '90 F450 7.3 flat bed, '90 Inter 7.3 flatbed, '96 F450 7.3 dump, '96 F800 5.9 Dump, '00 FL60 Cat Lift truck, '02 F150 5.4 pickup, '04 F550 6.0 Dump, '04 f350 6.0 pickup, '07 F550 6.0 Flatbed, '04 f450 dump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 PM

my dad was in your same position. well not the same but similar. he wrecked his beloved '95 PSD a year ago today. he had bought it new when the PSDs came out. he loved it. last may he went with a 6.0L PSD and hated it to death. didn't have enough power to take off with a trailer with a bully dog programmer, exhaust, and intake on it. he got p'd off and jumped ship. bit his tongue and got an '07 6.7 Cab & Chassis put a flatbed on it and has put 500 towing miles on it in a week. he loves the low end torque and it has more than enough power to satisfy him. it has the 6 spd and he likes it so far. the problems with the other 6 spds have been takin care of my dodge in the last couple of years i think. now the only way he'll go back with ford is when they put the cummins in it since our friend at ford said it wasn't too far off from happening. you'll love this new dodge. yes it is very quiet and yes it does not have the "quality" of interior and other pieces as a ford but my dad just wanted the motor. best of luck to you in your decision
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 AM

I too have only owned fords my whole life, until I took a chance & bought an 06 dodge. So far ( 24000 miles ) I have not regretted it. I own or have friends with 05 & 06 chevy`s & fords . I like them all & can tell you good points on all of them. Would I go with dodge again? Yes. All the talk about the dodge body not being any good is crap. It does seem more like a tough work truck & less like a weekend play truck but thats what I wanted. Just my .02
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 AM

I am glad you guys are enjoying your trucks. No matter who says what about what brand, as long as you are happy, and are satisfied with your purchase, then that is all that matters.

I have no brand loyalty...I would buy whatever fits my needs.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 02:56 AM

wftree,
I can feel your pain!! I have an 05 w/ 6.0 and had nothing but problems. Now it's at the dealer getting the motor replaced. They say the block is warped. They have a ford rep coming to look at it also but, I don't have any mods done. I can't keep it out of the shop long enough to put anything on it. What really makes it ironic is that when I got the call from ford I was at a dodge dealership looking at a new truck. I have always had fords and now you couldn't give me one. That stinks; I think ford has the best looking truck out there. The 6.0 is junk in my opinion. Maybe thatís why ford cut off dodge from the Cummings?? Maybe you'll see them pop up in future fords. For now I'm switching to Dodge..
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 AM

Im sorry to hear that you are having problems. Hope your next truck is better.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 07:36 AM
In the passing lane

Send a message via AIM to countryboy88
My 2 cents id get a 5.9 cummins 12 or 24 valve. You can not beat those motors. BUt if your looking for something newer go for a 3 rd gen 5.9L cummins in the 04-06 range, before all the emissions :censored was put on the motor. Thats just my thoughts but it is up to you on what you want and if the truck will suit your needs.

Truck: 1990 Ford F-250 5.0 EFI, 4x4 , Longbed, 5 speed w/ Hurst shifter, K&N FIPK, Line-X Bed liner, Ford Racing Valve Covers, 2 1/2 in exhaust w/ 4 inch SS tips, A pillar pod filled with Autometer Pro Comp Ultra Lites , Custom switch box w/ 5 switch panel, and more to come

In The Passing Lane
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 AM
Bouncer

You will not be dis-appointed with the new 6.7. Cummins has many, many real world testing miles on the engines before they were ever released and only better things will come from them once the aftermarket items start to hit the market.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:01 AM

There is a guy that I know on another forum that I am also a member of that owns a 6.7 Cab Chassis Dodge, and he has had it in service for about 10,000+ miles now. He is saying that its great, and that he hasnt had any problems whatsoever. He is enjoying it.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Dedicated Diesel Perv

With my current job, I get to drive chevys, fords, and dodges every day (I just grab whatever is available). I don't think that you will be dissapointed with any of the later model Dodges. I have had zero problems with my 05 and the new 6.7 that we just had delivered has had no problems to date. Give one a try and I believe you'll end up a convert.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode