road test article 6.7 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KERR, this thread has received 32 replies and been viewed 2713 times.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 221
Points: 3,940
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road test article 6.7

In this months ( well Feburary issue) of diesel power they have a write up on the 6.7 chassie cab with a Kmapheide Stake bed on it and it was an auto.

They said they put 1057 miles on the mileage ranged from 11.92 mpg to 9.81

They also went to the dyno and did 3 pulls.

256hp and 476 tq.
260hp and 509 tq
259hp and 500 tq

They said that dodge rates it at 305 hp and 610 lbtq...

anyway i dont know if you can look it up on line or not, if not its on page 122 of the February issus if your like me have to go to walkmart with the old lady
KERR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Dedicated Diesel Perv
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 372
Points: 18,468
Thanks: 26
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The numbers I see there with what Dodge says they are rated at seem to be right in the ballpark. Terrible mileage figures though. That will be an interesting read whenever I receive my copy (I have to wait a few extra weeks to get my magazines :cry: )

2018 Ford F250HD 6.7L
MoparBob is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,189
Points: 45,552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every truck dynos way under rated horsepower and nobody with a brand new Cummins ever see's good MPG brand new.
Smokem is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 119
Points: 384
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERR
In this months ( well Feburary issue) of diesel power they have a write up on the 6.7 chassie cab with a Kmapheide Stake bed on it and it was an auto.

They said they put 1057 miles on the mileage ranged from 11.92 mpg to 9.81

They also went to the dyno and did 3 pulls.

256hp and 476 tq.
260hp and 509 tq
259hp and 500 tq

They said that dodge rates it at 305 hp and 610 lbtq...

anyway i dont know if you can look it up on line or not, if not its on page 122 of the February issus if your like me have to go to walkmart with the old lady
The mileage sounds like crap but they say it should improve when broke in, Ive got one ordered also with an auto and will put a 9' utility body on which when loaded with tools and equip will weigh much more than a flat bed, I only get 11 mpg now with my 95 2500 CTD with utility body, I thought the new truck would be better.
I don't know what to think about the dyno test numbers since they are always different from the manufacturer's rated power.
How do you guys more in the know interpret the dyno numbers?
gen4 is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,189
Points: 45,552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My truck did 190 on a chassy dyno, which I obvoiusly thought was really low. You wouldn't believe how many people think I'm pushing over 350. You'll notice the power increase, that 350 HP is rated at the flywheel. Just like every Cummins.
Smokem is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
'Ol Builder guy
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 124,651
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen4
The mileage sounds like crap but they say it should improve when broke in, Ive got one ordered also with an auto and will put a 9' utility body on which when loaded with tools and equip will weigh much more than a flat bed, I only get 11 mpg now with my 95 2500 CTD with utility body, I thought the new truck would be better.
I don't know what to think about the dyno test numbers since they are always different from the manufacturer's rated power.
How do you guys more in the know interpret the dyno numbers?
Just the opposite-the newer truck diesels are projected to get noticeably WORSE fuel mileage due to the EPA regs. They're also more powerful. More power takes more fuel. There's no getting around that unless you increase efficiency. Ford has gone to a twin turbo set-up. That increases efficiency by eliminating turbo lag. If there's less turbo lag, the driver will not need to push down on the go-pedal as hard, thereby using less fuel.

The highest mileage diesels will be the old N/A Ford diesels and the old 160HP Cummins with manual transmissions.

The dyno numbers make perfect sense since most automatics pull 15-20% of the flywheel power off the truck. 610TQ x 20% is 122TQ 610-122=488. 610TQ x 15% = 92. 610-92= 519TQ.
Duke is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 221
Points: 3,940
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like they will be a nice turck... I have some friend looking for two new diesels but they want the 06 models. They will use them as baja race truks though...

I still have not seen a new 07 6.7 on a lot...
KERR is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,189
Points: 45,552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
The highest mileage diesels will be the old N/A Ford diesels and the old 160HP Cummins with manual transmissions.
Jponder would throw a fit about that, his 2001 did 30 MPG. My 1998.5 does over 25MPG, mine needed a little motivation though, I don't know what Jponder did to his. I can see the IDI fords doing good on fuel, but I don't think there is much to room to work with vs. the DI Powerstrokes.
Smokem is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 PM
'Ol Builder guy
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 124,651
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Fuel mileage is as much a component of the driver's ability to squeeze more MPG's out of the truck, the climate in which the truck is driven (flat, headwinds, etc.) as the type of engine. What you're failing to realize is that Joe blows truck might be driven in conditions that greatly affect fuel mileage compared to your conditions. Just one underinflated tire or 2 more stoplights would have a significant impact on MPG's

If you took all the types of truck diesels made, inserted them in the same body style truck, with same tires, wind resistance, weather conditions, same stretch of road driven by a computer, my bet is the IDI and early Cummins get the best fuel mileage.

Think about it.

Needless to say, the newer trucks with their higher outputs & more emmissions controls will suffer in the MPG dept.
Duke is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Haulin' Azz
 
BROKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NH & NB
Posts: 3,111
Points: 52,634
Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily 911
Jponder would throw a fit about that, his 2001 did 30 MPG. My 1998.5 does over 25MPG, mine needed a little motivation though, I don't know what Jponder did to his. I can see the IDI fords doing good on fuel, but I don't think there is much to room to work with vs. the DI Powerstrokes.
I'll dispute JPONDER claims . :smoke
BROKER is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome