Drove the heck out of a 6.7 today. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Smokem, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 2867 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Drove the heck out of a 6.7 today.

Well drove as the title states I drove one today. I know were all, all freaked out by the EGR, at least I am, but the truck is really super neat.

The trany has a 180,000 Mile warrenty! The turbo brake out of this world. I want one now just because of the turbo brake. I don't know why but I'm amazed at this thing. I thought it had quite a bit of power considering the engine wasn't even broke in. Listen to one of these start up, the turbo is LOUD. Like I said, the EGR freaks me out, but the turbo brake has me stunned. 6sp Aisin shifted great. The fuel mpg sucks (but will probably do better once it gets broke in). It does not need 3.73 gears. The final overdrives is high enough believe it or not. The t/c has 3 friction materials. I really would like to see one of these with intake, exhaust, just to hear the turbo. The turbo is louder than mine. And I have nothing baffeling the sound.(Silencer ring gone, aFe intake, 5 inch straight piped exhaust) I sware it whistles louder than mine though.

No smoke, no smell. This truck will sell alot of gasser people to diesel engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Diesel Mafia #67

.. so did it sound anything like theCR 5.9's? damn i cant drive one until march... when they get them in.. what did hte turbo sound like? 6.0L

Jordan

95-dodge 2500 built to the hill... - sold to litle brother
03- stroker 6.0 studs and basic BS

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Dedicated Diesel Perv

Sounds sweet...I dig the Tranny warranty.

2018 Ford F250HD 6.7L
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Only time will tell how this combo works. But I have very high hopes for it mabe Dodge got it right this time around. A good engine and a good rans wow could you hope for anything more? Better fuel milage?
Did you also know this engine trans combo is certified for the 2010 change also certified my the EPA:bow: as of a few days ago. read about it today in a email from a magazine called light and medium truck. A mag for the trades.
http://www.autospectator.com/modules...p?storyid=7610
Yep we and Cummins Can say We togeather beat to market Ford ,G.M. All the Jap Vech All of them. And to think all the V8 Diesel boys used to laugh at us. Damn now even the govt likes us what is the world coming too?
Now it will even harder to Smoke um if yiu got um. Darn !:smoke

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:13 PM

Got mine on sat. it goes like all heck, plenty of power, as far as the sound it's hard to describe, at low end I don't like it, it sounds like a gasser with pre ignition knock, sounds great when you get on it, but it's so fast that you can't get on it that much with out going to fast if your in town, like Philly said the high gear is high enough about 73 mph at 2000 rpm, almost exactly the same as my 95 with 3.54's in OD.
Was reading the manual and it states the break in takes longer with no load operating, I have a 9 ft utility body coming and with that and tools and equipment it should have a good load to pull.
I'm thinking that the reg pick ups with the 6.7 running empty may be a problem for the DPF since it also needs a load to get hot enough for the regen cycle.
Todt; From what I can tell by that article only the pick ups that come out after March will have that new blue tech system to meet the 2010 standards, my truck and the other cab chassis's out now don't have it.
My only problem is that my dealer has no diesel techs and are not up on this truck yet, they could not figure out how to enable the high idle control or get my new cargo light to be recognized by the computer after over three hours, they said I have to leave it there over night, so that's where it sits now, my body isn't gonna be ready for another 30 days so I don't need the truck anyway.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Bouncer

Cummins has consistently beat Navistar "Powerstroke" and Isuzu "Duramax" when it comes to emissions certification over the last 10 years. That is why Cummins kept upping the HP on the 5.9 CR engines, just because they could.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Oh well I can wait until 0.3/01/07.
I own a mixed fleet and I would like the newer of the new for clean air ect. I can use the clean air aspect in my bids and prosposals. I haul small loads for a bunch of greenies sometimes and the horses will love the quiet ride and I will love the quickness of the truck. now off to what I need to do and try to start a cold soaked Cat diesel in my Peterbuilt. Fun Fun

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Diesel Mafia #67

Quote:
Bouncer Cummins has consistently beat Navistar "Powerstroke" and Isuzu "Duramax" when it comes to emissions certification over the last 10 years. That is why Cummins kept upping the HP on the 5.9 CR engines, just because they could.
i tohugh the Dmax also kept going up ? i remember back in the 90's when i was a wee little tyke.. it was always ford and dodge going at it.. the 6.5 chevy couldnt keep up .. d max's arent bad.. i still want to test drive all 3 of them .. i might do a little test with a 22ft grady white.. lets see what one tows better,..!

Jordan

95-dodge 2500 built to the hill... - sold to litle brother
03- stroker 6.0 studs and basic BS

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 PM

Duramax is keeping up w/the emission stanards, dont know where ford is. Since you mentioned it, whats dodge and cummins doing w/these dpf's?????? I have been asking around about duramax and cant seem to get an answer from anyone. I know They will go through regen modes on their own, however every once and awhile need to be taken off and cleaned out. Many states considering ash as hazardous waste. From waht I understand machines are 10,000 dollars + to blow them out and collect soot. Caterpillar is doing exhange program (take old one off and throw "remaned" one on.). DPF by federal law on light duty trucks cant require cleaning in less then 100,000 miles. However if somone puts ci4 oil in or high sulfer diesel, could reequre cleaning alot sooner and from waht I can tell none of the big 3 have a plan figured out for this. What if I bought one of these tomorrow and 1 month from noow after my bone head employee dumps off road fuel in it etc its clogged, none of them seem to know. Anyone on here know anything about the big 3.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 PM

my dad put a 5" straight pipe on his 6.7. it sounds ok. still not very loud. the turbo is quite loud. at idle all you hear is the turbo whistling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode