Any Ideas? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Headbutt, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1105 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Any Ideas?

Picked up my brand new Megacab with the 6.7 last night. This morning the check engine light came on. Truck had 94 miles on it when I bought it, 180 by the time I got to the dealership. Code on trip computer said Cat stat 80%. Dealer mechanic said that meant that the cat was 80% full and that had to be because of bad fuel. I haven't had a chance to put any fuel in the thing yet. They recommended that I get it out on the interstate for a good 45 minutes to burn out the stuff in the cat. After about 25 miles it read Cat stat 100%. One hour at 85mph failed to change the reading. I'm really at a loss here. It's a freakin' diesel. I should be able to run a 1,000 miles on stinkin' Crisco before I hit these kind of problems! Very unhappy with my purchase. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbutt
Picked up my brand new Megacab with the 6.7 last night. This morning the check engine light came on. Truck had 94 miles on it when I bought it, 180 by the time I got to the dealership. Code on trip computer said Cat stat 80%. Dealer mechanic said that meant that the cat was 80% full and that had to be because of bad fuel. I haven't had a chance to put any fuel in the thing yet. They recommended that I get it out on the interstate for a good 45 minutes to burn out the stuff in the cat. After about 25 miles it read Cat stat 100%. One hour at 85mph failed to change the reading. I'm really at a loss here. It's a freakin' diesel. I should be able to run a 1,000 miles on stinkin' Crisco before I hit these kind of problems! Very unhappy with my purchase. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation?
The DPF would not be full in such a short time, probably the sensors or the lines that come off the DPF are kinked, I think I heard about another truck with that problem, I wouldn't trust that mechanic in the future since he thought the DPF was actually full because the trip computer told him it was, when they're supposed to be good for over 100,000 miles.
I know it's frustrating, my dealer doesn't even have a diesel mechanic, and they know nothing about the 6.7 or the new tranny's, I've had the MIL light come on 4 times in 1000 miles and they still don't know where to start, some times it clears itself and sometimes they clear it with the scanner, lucky for me the dealer is only 4 miles away and I'm a business link customer so they get me in and out fast, so I'm trying to be patient with them while they're in their learning curve but I think it's going to take a long time since this dealer doesnt sell alot of diesels.
I have a cab/chassis so it's a little different than yours with the blue tech stuff, yours is gonna be more sensitve to all the crap going into the PCM, but man that's pretty stupid for them to send you for a ride to nowhere with the cost of fuel today.
Good luck and keep us informed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks gen4, that sensor idea makes good sense. I'm going to go ahead and let them do what they think needs done, but if it pops back up, I think I'll find someone else to work on it. Had a different but similar situation with my '03 Ford F-250SD. Dealer I bought it from gave me a great deal, but didn't have a clue when it came to service probs. After 3 different service departments I found a good mechanic at a local dealership that I didn't buy the truck from because they tried to hose me on the deal. Service dept. was great however and made everything better. I guess you shop the deal, then you shop the support.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

wow, I gotta update this thread

Just because it ain't all roses with the 6.7 and I think y'all should know about it. I originally filled the cat on my pickup at about 180 miles, it finally burned off. At roughly 1,000 miles it read as cat full again. Dealer had part on order, but recieved wrong part ( was going to replace cat, I believe) due to wrong part being put into the right box. Mistakes happen, and I waited another week for the right part. In the meantime it filled up again, power went to the seriously bad stage, and then burned off and power came back. While I was driving I watched the trip computer report "catalyst stat" fall from 100% full to 0%, then it immediately started climbing again. Dealer called and said part was in. The 'part' was an entirely new exhaust from the turbo on back. This guy is really trying to fix this problem. After installation of an entire new exhaust including cat and filters, as well as two software updates that have come out two address the problem, the POS filled up again, lost all power and left me stranded on a country road. By the way, Chrysler roadside is pretty efficient. Any how, service guy at dealer called me back, said he had been in touch with 'the engineers' and they have a number of pickups with this problem, but "don't have a clue how to fix it". Dealer and I will be discussing this conclusion tomorrow. Just thought you should know.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 AM

Well that's about as bad as it can get, no one can blame you for being pissed, I've been following this new release since they came out last year so I could learn all I could and know what to watch for. Yours is the worst I've heard of, others have had the 80% message come up but no one had to have their exhaust system replaced, I did hear about one turbo being replaced but not sure why.
Mine at 1500 miles has been good except for the mil light coming on every other day then clearing itself. I know I have to bring it in but don't have any confidence that they'll know what to do with it in a reasonable amount of time since I need the truck every day. Good luck and keep us informed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:33 AM

yes exact same frickin thing happened to us with the cat 80% being our first warning light with about 200 miles. we are now at 5700 miles and have had four other different types of warning lights. the dealer was unable to fix any of the problems, and we have had two oil change required lights come on in 2000 mile intervals despite light use. please notify if u find a fix it would be much appreciated. :smoke
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:39 AM

the 6.7's have an update for the software. it is just a flash but it takes a couple of hours to do and should fix some of your problems.

by the way keep a check on your fuel filters there has been a few trucks with algae growing in the tank and causing a lack of power at 1/2 tank or less. with a full tank the problem doesn't occur. the way to check is you will see small black specs in your fuel filter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 AM

you have to set the cruise at 55 for 40 mins. Stupid, huh? The same thing happened to me. I drove for 40 mins at 70 mph and it went from 60 to 100% full. My dealer got in it and set it at 55 for 40 mins, came back and it was fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode