6.7 Care and usage - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Pappy, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 2368 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

6.7 Care and usage

I'm kind of new to all of the diesel truck thing, and I see some others that are also new. I read alot about the start up preheaters in the winter, warming up in the other seasons from a cold start, allowing the trucks to idle too much being bad for them, and letting the trucks idle until they cool, rather than just shutting them off...

What in all of this is true and false? Now I'm talking about stock trucks here.:smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:08 AM

Its always a good idea to let the truck idle before you shut it off. Thats true on any diesel.

The other stuff...is true for the Ford 6.0 so I do that. The cummins guys will have to answer that one...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
I'm kind of new to all of the diesel truck thing, and I see some others that are also new. I read alot about the start up preheaters in the winter, warming up in the other seasons from a cold start, allowing the trucks to idle too much being bad for them, and letting the trucks idle until they cool, rather than just shutting them off...

What in all of this is true and false? Now I'm talking about stock trucks here.:smoke
All of it. You need to let the truck idle to warm and cool down. Or really it's just a good habit to get into. To long of a Idle time is also bad too. The pistons get too cool and allow by pass around the piston rings, just to name one bad thing. But ya, I'd try to limit your idle time to 15 minutes max.

Start up and cool down: Start up depends on how cold the engine is.
Cool down depends on how hot the turbo is.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM

The very best thing to do is get a set of guages, monitor the temps and thatll tell you when to shut off. As said above too much idle is bad too. Generally only after extreme towing will you need long cool down times. I dont agree w/it, but ups runs their trucks wide open into the parking lot slams on the break shut it off run in pick up packages at work, star it run off. 2x a dayx how many othe rbuisnesses and they dont have any major problems.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejdman04
The very best thing to do is get a set of guages, monitor the temps and thatll tell you when to shut off. As said above too much idle is bad too. Generally only after extreme towing will you need long cool down times. I dont agree w/it, but ups runs their trucks wide open into the parking lot slams on the break shut it off run in pick up packages at work, star it run off. 2x a dayx how many othe rbuisnesses and they dont have any major problems.
That's kind of what I'm getting at.....workers don't care how many miles the diesel lasts, they run it like they stole it, and they seem to hold up....I am hesitant to buy a diesel, because of people saying about idling hurting them, and short trips hurting them. Our Dachshund rides in my truck all the time, and I use the remote start to run heat or A/C for him while I'm out of the truck for a while....And, I used to assume that the short trip damage could be cured by starting the truck once a day and either driving or ideling all day.....Maybe the Hemi is better for my needs, despite the MPG.:shrug:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

OK, I'm seeing others posting that the new emissions diesels need to be run hard to make them "Self Clean"......Works for me if it is true.:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What kind of costs are in a 6.7 oil change? How many quarts, and how much is the oil filter?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:50 AM

I dont have the specs on the 6.7 liter engine oil capicty but i would say it is probaly going to hold around 3 gals like the 5.9 does. If so you are looking at around $50 bucks to $75 bucks depeding who does it. Dont know if filter is a spin on are a canster style. I would say not over $75 dollars to change everything.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 AM

Costco or Sams Club have Delo in the 15W40 CJ-4 for $56 a case(6 gallon jugs) Walmart has the Mopar filter for $10. They also have the Delo at $10 a gallon.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the info...People are telling me the oil change and maintenance costs horror stories, so I come here to get the truth from owners in the know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode