Towing with 6 speed Manual - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Fat Kid, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 933 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Towing with 6 speed Manual

Hey guys, I'm glad there's a place where I can finally get some info on my truck. My question is about towin with the 6 speed manual. I was wondering if when I pull a trailer am I suppose to use the 6th gear or not. The only other diesels I've owned have all been automatics, and I've heard so many different ideas from people about how I should or I shouldn't use 6th when towin. Please help with any and all knowledge on the subject. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Kid
Hey guys, I'm glad there's a place where I can finally get some info on my truck. My question is about towin with the 6 speed manual. I was wondering if when I pull a trailer am I suppose to use the 6th gear or not. The only other diesels I've owned have all been automatics, and I've heard so many different ideas from people about how I should or I shouldn't use 6th when towin. Please help with any and all knowledge on the subject. Thanks
yes you can use 6th gear towing . just use common sense like you would in any other gear and keep it at a good working rpm . the reason you don't use od when in town or pulling in the hills in an auto is because the auto will shift back and forth in and out of od and that heats the tranny up with a load .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 AM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

I'd like to have a long discussion about this....but he covered everything....lol

here's a short version then.

rpms
listen to your engine
watch your tranny temps

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:38 AM

Also probably depends on the weight you are towing. My trailer is only about 15K or so loaded, but if I were one of those guys with a 20K trailer........6th would not get much use. Maybe if it was regeared. Also I believe 5th is your direct gear which is the strongest? Might not be the right word. But, that is the gist of it. Also pulling some weight on the hills in 6th is not the best idea either. You will be able to tell if something isn't right.

Like Georgia Dawg said pretty much a common sense thing.

05' 2500 CTD 4X4 QC LB SLT 6" lift 35x12.5x18" Toyo's, edge j/a, airdog 150 and jeep liberty canister mod, magnaflow turboback 5" to 4" duals, banks techni-cooler, airaid, dipricol mech. fuel press. in a-pillar mount
07.5 2500 LMM 4X4 CC SB LTZ 10-12" lift 37x13.5x22" Toyo's, efi-live, magnaflow 5" turboback

04'trx450,04'dvx400, 06'trx250, 06'predator90 ,05'ktm525mxc
05' Fleetwood Gearbox 335FS rev red
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:32 PM
rXr
Misplaced Alaskan

I don't know about the manuel but with the 6 speed automatic 4th gear is the 1:1 gear (some call this tranny a double overdrive).

2008 2500 HD Megacab 4X4 CTD, 6 speed Auto, Mineral Gray, SRW #143 - 28TB Tahoe Toy Hauler
Utility quads, 2 kids and one awesome (and patient) wife. Priorities not listed in order of importance
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxr
I don't know about the manuel but with the 6 speed automatic 4th gear is the 1:1 gear (some call this tranny a double overdrive).
5th is one to one in the manual .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 AM

Ok, I love that thread.....You can tow anything you want on 6th no problem. Just keep working your rpm and make sure you don`t downshift as soon as the rpm goes down. Let it drop way down to 1500rpm before thinking to downshift....Anyway, with time you`ll see that the best torque comes out around 1700rpm. When you it the hill the rpm might go down real fast first but when it comes around 1700 you`ll see a big difference...wow! And don`t be scare to let it drop around 1500 before shifting. In 18 wheelers we let it drop to about 1200rpm and the best torque is around 1350rpm and with all the test I did on the 6.7, is best is around 1700!! But it`s such a beast that you won`t have to downshift often hihihihihi :
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks alot. I appreciate all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode