New guy with a new 08 cummins, and dpf questions??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lakecummins, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1451 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

New guy with a new 08 cummins, and dpf questions???

Well, I've been lurking here for awhile and learning what I can from the posts. I've had my 08 2500 Dodge Cummins diesel for just over a week and the troubles have started already. I think it must be the dpf/emissions/regen stuff from what I am reading, but wanted to ask anyways. The other day the truck dropped from 18 to 11 mpg on the freeway. It ran like crap for awhile, but is ok today. It threw a PO 420 code which I cleared with my own Genesys diagnostic tool. So far no new codes. What I am wondering is if it would be any help to install one of the fooler boxes to cut down on the regen/dpf crap? I know I can replace the entire exhaust system and install a box, but I'd like to get out of warranty before visible making mods. So, I'm new at this, it's my first diesel and I need to learn a lot. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:42 AM

What`s the mileage on your new truck? Mine did a few ``buzz`` like that in the first 1000mile but everything went great after!! Break-in maybe??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 AM

po420 is catalyst efficiency bank 1. i don't know if that was anything to do with the g30 recall, but do you know if your new truck has had that done? it's nonsence how these trucks just leave the dealers lot without the flashes and updates they need. i insisted the dealer enable my high idle, and while doing that they found other updates it needed. i have an 08 also.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:52 AM

mine an 07 had 2 recalls done before i got it in aug. did the electronic horror show the second tankful. i slowed crawled thru a toll booth. it said excessive idling. did the next flash in sept. the cel light went back on, along with change engine oil. had the last flash done along with a g-30 recall. the check engine light still comes and goes. i've amsoiled the truck, and plan on sending out the oil at 7500 miles. my first two tanks had great mileage, ac and highway driving 17-18ish hand calc. 500 plus miles to the first two tanks i never got better than say 425 miles taking low 30 gallon range to fill back up. i cracked 600 miles on my last tank 33 gallons, i'm very happy. i drove like an old lady.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Current mileage runs between 11-18 mpg depending on which demons are in control of the computer at the time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Demons? Makes me want to stay with my 01.

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode