Does diesel fuel have a TOPTIER level? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by semlohde, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 6547 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Does diesel fuel have a TOPTIER level?

I've seen where some gas has a toptier www.toptiergas.com rating, Shell, Texaco, Phillips and some others. Does diesel have a better additive from different companies? Is it as good buying from one as another company as long as it has the ULSD 15ppm sticker? I see a local company Memphis selling it for $3.79 - not a fancy looking exterior place so I wonder about their tanks, or I can pay $3.99 at the pretty Shell down the street. And what makes this stuff foam so much? Thanks, ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semlohde
I've seen where some gas has a toptier www.toptiergas.com rating, Shell, Texaco, Phillips and some others. Does diesel have a better additive from different companies? Is it as good buying from one as another company as long as it has the ULSD 15ppm sticker? I see a local company Memphis selling it for $3.79 - not a fancy looking exterior place so I wonder about their tanks, or I can pay $3.99 at the pretty Shell down the street. And what makes this stuff foam so much? Thanks, ed
not sure about "toptier" but, depending on where you live... yes, you can get different grades of fuel. Don't know about the different manufacturer but, things like anti-gelling agents are put in fuel in the northern states where it's not in the south.

I've always tried to buy fuel from places that use a lot of it. That way it's always fresh and not absorbing water and/or rust from just sitting there. Even if it's going to cost me a little more. I believe it also looses it's BTU rating after a while

If you think about it, that $.20 you're trying to save is only around $5 a tank. Your injectors are $1400 each !

The fuel foams from the detergents in it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:41 AM

All the fuel any more is about the same. Flying J, Loves and other trk stops that are not majors get their fuel from the same refinerys and since ULSD came out, its all refined to pure diesel. The only thing you have to watch out for is water in the tanks. I drove tankers for 20yrs and I've hauled some really bad stuff but that was before even LSD was on the market. I always buy the cheapest fuel available unless the station looks like a pig pen. If you live in cold country, then triton is correct about the anti-gel additives. Go ahead and run it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks to Triton and Heavyhaller - I live in the Memphis, TN area and wasn't trying to get a cheap gas ( maybe a cheaper price though), just wondering if maybe Phillips was any better than Shell or whatever - maybe even Sam's Club and for diesel it doesn't seem to matter. I agree with going to a busier place and while I found it 20 cents less at a Citgo in town, it looked like the old time gas stations and I questioned it's tanks. It's up to $4.03 here and warming up - time to get the motorcycle out!
ed
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semlohde
Thanks to Triton and Heavyhaller - I live in the Memphis, TN area and wasn't trying to get a cheap gas ( maybe a cheaper price though), just wondering if maybe Phillips was any better than Shell or whatever - maybe even Sam's Club and for diesel it doesn't seem to matter. I agree with going to a busier place and while I found it 20 cents less at a Citgo in town, it looked like the old time gas stations and I questioned it's tanks. It's up to $4.03 here and warming up - time to get the motorcycle out!
ed
With the price of fuel being so high, if the fuel at that station is $.20 cheaper I can garantee you the fuel is not getting old. I would buy their fuel if it makes you feel better. Jobbers pull fuel from what ever refinery has the best price or they have allication at. Flying J pulls from all the same refinerys that citgo does. Wait a minute, I will not buy citgo products because they are owned by Chevez in Venezuela. :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode