The Diesel Garage banner

Painting the interior

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TooMuchBoost 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a pretty quick question for you all. My new project vehicle is a 74 F250 that is getting a diesel engine. I need to paint the interior and I was told that rather than strip the interior, prime it and paint it, I could just use some stuff called adhesion promoter and spray over top of it. Anyone ever heard of this stuff or how it works? This isn't a show truck by any means, just a family cruiser and fun truck. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

#2 ·
if your painting plastic, that is what that is for... just wash the parts well and rub them down with wax and greese remover and give them a light coat with adheasion promoter.. i usually follow with sealer or low build primer then paint so that i have a even colored base to spray over

now if you talking about painting the metal pieces.... you won't need it... but your gonna need to sand (or scuff with scotch bright depending on what shape its in) then prime and paint

#3 ·
Thanks. I was told that it was for metal too, but I guess thats not the case. So you're saying that I don't have to completely remove the old paint and I can just sand and reprime? That saves some time and effort. Is there any chance that the new paint will peal off the old or possibly let the old show through?

#4 ·
no you don't have to remove all the fatory paint... infact it is better that you don't because you will never get the protection that the factory rust coatings offer

all that you want to do is sand down enought to give the new paint something to bite to (400 grit) if there are some scratches you want to sand out sand just those areas down untill they are gone.. if that means all the way to the metal just sand that spot and featheredge your sanding back into the existing paint and spot it with epoxy or etching primer in the spot that bare metal is showing... then go over everything lightly with 400 grit and spray primer or sealer (if you use primer you will need to sand it all one more time before you paint... but it will have a higher build to hide some imperfections) then paint it

I would definately not sand the whole thing down to metal that would waste your time and not be benificial at all

i have never used adheasion promoter on metal... only on plastic but thats not saying you can't, check with your paint rep on the brand you are using, but as with anything you paint plastic or metal you still need to whipe it off with both water born cleaner AND solvent based wax and greese remover before EVERY coat of paint or primer.. then you will be fine... most of the time poor paint adhesion (peel off) is caused by poor prep (not sanding so the paint/primer has something to hold to or not cleaning the surface properly prior to applying coatings)

#6 ·
JLayne said:
no you don't have to remove all the fatory paint... infact it is better that you don't because you will never get the protection that the factory rust coatings offer
Wouldn't a paint job from '74 be lacquer?

I'd either strip it to the bare metal with 80, epoxy it, block it then paint it

or

180 what I had, apply 1 coat of epoxy, wait 30 minutes, then apply another coat of epoxy, let it set for 24 hours and hope for the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.