Sad Faces - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by michael59, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 479 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Sad Faces

Hi: Been a bit since I logged on to this site but I have a bit of a problem. My problem is that I barter for the roof over my head and the guy I barter from has 5 of these dodge rams around and yet he will not purchase a book nor a disk which leaves me in a quandary. You might think this all suspicious but you have not seen anything yet which leads me to my current "This just can't be so!" dilemma.

OK, reader beware: So, purchased at auction was a 95/96 dodge diesel in which 'rats' had chewed up every thing; I am not kidding. So I took the dash apart, repaired the vacuum lines and all the chewed wires. Blew out the air box and put it all back together. Low and behold every thing worked except the tachometer. Then one day everything did not work on the instrument cluster. Well I did not have first go around on the rig so some one else got their mits into it. So installed was a used cluster and it was the same o same o. Upon inspection I found the old cluster had burnt copper in the film that transfers ground and electrical connection. Fine, went and procured another instrument cluster. Now this is where it gets weird: The cluster I installed was showing a 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge and it immediately dropped and the fuel(idiot light) came on; crazy no? This new cluster was showing the brake light as on also.

So, I checked the back of this cluster for juice and found that it is there. Consequently I pulled the plugins and they also had juice. So, I cleaned all the grounds in the engine compartment and still nothing on the cluster. So, I pulled the TCM with the engine running. I pulled one plugin and checked for juice and nothing, replaced it back in and checked the plug with two wires and nothing and all the while the motor is just purring along.

So here I sit totally stumped. From what I understand is that if the tach sending unit does not transmit then the engine TCM/TMC(?) will not know that the motor is running. Fine, but if it does not know it is running then how does it run?

I am totally confused. I have downloaded some electrical diagrams from a google web crawler via autozone and am taking them in expanded form via a PC as when I sent them via onedrive to access them off of my phone the .gif's are totally unreadable, as in a bunch of discombobulated ants are on the screen, plus I cannot expand the pictures.

Do you think it can get any stranger? I bet it does because the fuel tank sending unit gets juice but does not transmit anything out, the speedometer unit does not get any juice at all and as far as I can tell the tach is not receiving nor sending. The oil pressure gauge is kapoot as well as the water jacket sensor as in no juice. The only thing that works is the amp, break light and another light on the left hand side of the cluster.

So, here I sit waiting a slap along side the head with the reassuring words of "You should have checked this out."

Sorry to dump this on you guys but like I already intimated "I am stumped."

HELP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Haw. I am thinking I need to get the CD. I did hear that it is 1,000 pages long and all inclusive for 30 buckaroo's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode