Newby Looking for answers - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JDBocadeJr, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 246 times.

Poll: What do I look for in a used diesel pickup?
Poll Options
What do I look for in a used diesel pickup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Newby Looking for answers

I am currently not a diesel owner but I think I would like to be. I own a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with a 8.1 Vortec which I use to haul my 25' fifth wheel. I don't have a problem with my truck except when it comes to mileage (quite frankly, it's terrible). The wife and I are planning an extended (12,000) mile retirement cruise around this great country of ours and I'd rather not go broke paying for the 8mpg guzzler I now drive.

If I can find a reasonably priced truck, preferably an extended or crew cab I would be interested but I have heard all the horror stories about the Power Stroke engines, the bad head bolts in the Duramax and some issues with the Cummins. I do not have deep pockets but I feel I could probably sspend around 15 to 16k without killing my retirement budget. I'm looking for tips and what to look for in a diesel and would appreciate any help that's out there. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 AM

For the Duramax the '04 - '07.5 are the best for your price range. Head studs are only needed with higher boost. Injectors fix the issues with the pre '04 though.
I get around 10-11 mpg pulling our beast of a 5er. 15 around town. I've seen 18-19 on the highway, all hand calculated. ECLB '05 stock 2wd.

If the Powerstroke has been "bulletproofed" their issues are fixed. I'm not a fan of the HPOP set-up though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode