Help - Paint Experts, coding for Oxford White - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cartmanea, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 5094 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Help - Paint Experts, coding for Oxford White

I'm getting my door, fender, and hood repainted, factory code is Z1 Oxford White. The PPG book at the shop lists a single mix for Z1 and YZ paint codes, and I know they are not the same. My code, Z1, is a bright white and YZ is a creamier white with a grey/tan tone to it. Did PPG drop the ball on this? Can anyone get me the correct mixtures for each so I can show the shop? Thanks!

2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 PM

you are correct, they are different. you also have different alternates / variances to these colors that should be matched up to achieve the best color match.

i can give you a standard mix formula for Dupont Chroma base or Spies Hecker but i dont have access to PPG

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

PPG lists a single formula for both, I have seen Dupont lists two separate formulas. That is the problem I'm running into. The shop uses PPG and is saying it matches "good enough", which didn't make me too happy because I can see the mismatch.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 PM

yes i understand what you are saying.

if you are not happy with what they can provide then i would look for another shop

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably have to take them to court after our last conversation. They're saying they won't repaint it, but will blend at my cost. Sorry, but I don't want the wrong shade blended... Too busy with my thesis right now to deal with it, so in a month or so when I'm finished I'll talk with them some more and go to small claims court if I have to. It is an obvious mismatch and they aren't standing behind the quality of their work.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Blending is a normal thing and most shops do it . it is the only way that any shop can guarantee you an absolute positive match. it blends the color out so that if there is any difference at all , no matter how slight, your eye can not pick it out. All insurance companies pay for this when you paint a car for repair.

first you have to pick the proper alternate or variance as i said before. lets use your truck as example . Ford builds these trucks in atleast two different plants. both plants spray the same color, which means there are atleast two different batches. Not every batch is the same. so they have to create the alternates for these bathes . now there are not alternates for every single batch or there would be dozens of alternates, but it is not uncommon to have five alternates for one color code.

its like when you buy paint at home depot to paint your living room, you run out of that paint before you finish so you go back to buy more, come home to finish the job and realize there is a slight difference between the first gallon and second. Home depot cant and wont gaurunte each mix is going to be EXACTLY the same .

same is true with car paint so we pick the correct alternate and then blend it out. maybe the picked the wrong alternate or didn't blend the first time . ask them about alternates , tell them you would like to see them.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I asked what code they painted and they showed me the PPG book which gave just one code for Z1 and YZ combined, no alternates. I don't think PPG lists any alternates for that color, whereas Dupont has different codes for each and possibly alternates. I understand blending is common, but they would be blending the incorrect paint code...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM

the way it works is you take your color code Z1 , and enter it in a computer, you tell the computer you want a ford code, then enter the code, it should then spit out the alternates, the are in a different book. the book they showed you is most likely the color library witch only holds the code samples which are only the standard alternate. I would be shocked if PPG did not have an Alternate for your code.

There should absolutely be differnt formulas for each of YZ and Z1. i have worked with Dupont, sickens, and spies hecker through the years and Have never seen those two codes combined

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode