Steps to painting Plastic - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hhrecovery, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1279 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8

Garage
Steps to painting Plastic

What steps need to be taken to paint some of the plastic on our trucks? I would like to paint my mirrors, door handles, and maybe my wiper cowl all painted to match my truck and then would like to paint my bug deflector either to match my truck or paint it glossy black and I want do do everything right so that I dont have to worry about it cracking of flaking off. Let me here some input from the experts. Thanks.

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM

as long as there isn't any imperfections that need to be fixed i would start by washing it with soap and water then with wax and grease remover and a lint free rag don't forget to clean the parts before you do anything

then wet sand the part up so your the next step has something to bite into with 400-600 grit

then i would spray some adheasion promoter on it followed by a couple coats of sanding primer... this will most likely fill in all the textured finish so that the end result will be smooth then sand that down with 400-600 again then put 3-4 coats of base on it and wet sand with 2000 after it dries be very sure not to sand too much your just giving the clear something to bite to lastly clear it

be sure to use a tack cloth in between step everytime you spray (adheasion promoter/primer/base/clear)

but you will need to talk with your paint mixer to find out if your brand of primer/base/and clear will need a flex additive like is used on bumper covers... this will allow the plastic parts to flex (reasonably) without cracking

make sure any time after you touch the parts with your hands you re clean it so that the oils from your hands don't mess up your paint

Maybe i didn't forget something... I'm going to do the same on my truck plus paint the grill then do a write up with pictures
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 PM

Id like to also , But Im not a painter !!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8
Threadstarter

Garage
I am not a painter either, this is just something I am wanting to try out. Where is the best place to find all the stuff I am needing? Adhesive promoter, sanding primer, etc...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:16 PM

Bulldog makes a good aerosol adhesion promoter then you could use SEM aerosols assuming they have the color you want.

Assuming you had a low or no-metallic color you could have it customed mixed and buy a Preval aerosol sprayer.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8
Threadstarter

Garage
my goal it so get everything painted to match my truck...

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:11 PM

If I remember Ford has touch up aerosols and TS Performance sold them at one time. You could then use a SEM aerosol clear over it if you wanted to go that route.

Only problem is whites fade funny shades over time so it's hard to say what the color match would be then again you may not notice when comparing a protruding mirror to a door panel or a-post.

Just stop armor-alling anything you want to paint about 30 days in advance and its best not to even armor all the tires to because it not only slings that chit but it migrates through the air.

A kid armor-alling his Civic across the street while you paint can cause fisheyes on the right day.

So can a passing diesel train.

So can the 'right' aftershave.

So can the 'right' deodorant.

So can WD-40.

So can bug spray.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8
Threadstarter

Garage
my truck is silver so hopefully it hasn't faded too much, Thanks for all the input Andy

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8
Threadstarter

Garage
I just ran down to the local Napa and to the True Value to see if they had anything. I found the sandpaper and Tack Cloth. Will a can of sanding primer work fine and then just get someone to mix me up some paint or just by a can from the Ford place work fine? Should I get all this stuff mixed locally or will buying it spray cans work fine???

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM

pretty much anything that has silicon in it will make fisheyes like there is no tomorrow... I painted a geo storm (go figure) that some little guy thought was the shiznit... it had a ton of armorall or something on just about everything.... it was a nightmare

spray bombs work oK but will be very expensive (with the amount of stuff you want to paint you proably could buy a mid grade detail gun and paint for what they will cost and will still have a paint gun when you are done)

a tip for useing a spray bomb on anything is to run a tub of the hottest water you can get and set the can in it for 15 min. before you paint... it raises the temp and pressure of the can and makes it paint MUCH better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode