The Diesel Garage banner

Wet sanding and buffing trick

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TooMuchBoost 
#1 ·
If you have a lot of wet sanding and buffing to do wet sand the ride then pull it out in the sun for at least a couple of hours (remember UV light and heat flow solvents). When you are ready to buff pull the ride in and let the metal cool to room temperature before you begin buffing. This will literally change/flow a 1200 grit scratch to a 1400 or 1500 grit scratch which obviously means less buffing.

If you only have a 1/4 panel to do with say a nasty color like black you can put a heat lamp on the panel for 15-20 minutes @ 24". Once again let it cool then buff it.

#3 ·
how soon after painting does this work? I was under the impression that once its cured flowing is done.

i'll try this tomorrow i have to paint a black lexus that is said to be ready to spray but i'm afraid that isn't the case due to sand scratches

#4 ·
JLayne said:
how soon after painting does this work? I was under the impression that once its cured flowing is done.
Several weeks without question.

If you have to sand it anyway you have nothing to lose other than the time it sat outside and remember UV is present even when its cloudy which is why you can get sunburned at a cloudy beach.

#5 ·
UNBROKEN said:
What if you have a whole nasty black truck to do ? LOL
Pray.

An 'old' black finish is a mofo to buff swirl free and I would not recommend wet sanding your factory finish because the milage isn't there. One might be able to knock the orange peel off with some 1500 grit wet sanding and buff it slick but they better know what they are doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.