spraying bedliners - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by RacerX, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1390 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

spraying bedliners

The white bedliner thread has me curious. Do you need a special gun for bedliner or will an under coat gun work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Got Diesel ?

A undercoating gun will work fine for most of the "shelf" bed liners. The franchise brands require special equipment. I have used the Sem Pro-tex bed liner twice. It looks good and holds up well.

2005 F250 6.0 Auto, 4x4, Lariat, Crew, ESOF, bedliner, Sirius radio w/PIE, custom emblems, Tow command, Pwr rear slider, L/S rear, Camper pkg, Two tone Toreador red/tan, Built 8/04

Old truck (buyback) 2002 F250 7.3, Auto, 4x4, Lariat, Crew

My 1970 Cadillac DeVille
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 03:52 PM

The problem with undercoating guns in general like UPOL's and Dominion Sure Seal's is 10 new guns will spray 10 different ways.

3M has an HD undercoating gun but retail has to be $75 now for what costs them $5 to import in quantity.

We have sold 1000's of Geo/Walcom undercoating guns for Geo/Walcom (we don't make a penny on them) because its a consistent quality build with an adjustable fluid tip. Retail is around $35 but they can be had for less usually.

The trick to making a low end undercoating gun work is cut the ~3" tip at the end of the gun where the material sprays out by 1/2-2/3. This allows more fluid to come out at once and the fan is wider.

Something else that works but is a little slow is one of the sand balsting guns you pick up at Napa for ~$35 that consists of the gun, hose and wide 'lid' on the hose that is meant to fit a lacquer primer type can opening. I tested one of these numerous times and it spray an HVLP like pattern that is very low over spray.

A 'solvent' ready hopper gun that costs $75 at Home Rip-Off will work too but you can't adjust it with bedliner in it. My suggestion would be start on the smallest or 2nd smallest hole.

The can that screws to an undercoating can is called a Philcan and they have both Euro and SAE threads. The UPOL gun along with the Gravitex cans that go on them are EURO threads while the 3M gun sold in the US is SAE. The Philcan we supply is SAE but Geo/Walcom offers their gun it in both EURO and SAE. The SAE Geo undercoating gun is part #4535.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:38 PM

i have the geo gun andy is talking about and it works great... the only thing i would change about it is that i would like a gun with a metal body instead of plastic... it probably makes no difference on the life of the gun or its spray quality, its most likely just a mental thing

especially bedliner material make absolutely sure the gun is clean after your done or it will ruin it
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:46 PM

The only gripe I have with the Geo is the plastic trigger which sometimes 'loosens' up over time at the hinge point.

A metal body would recitify this but would also raise the cost.

The GEO has a plastic pickup tube which is longer/deeper than the Philcan so you need to dry fit it from the outside and trim excess off with a sharp razor blade.

Many of these DIY bedliners are very tempermental and don't like to be sprayed in direct sunlight or on humid days so read your directions very well.

Don't tell the EPA but everyone I've ever sprayed outside of work has been in my driveway in the direct sunlight.:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode