Welding the frame - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TheBac, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 997 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Welding the frame

I don't know if this has ever been asked before, but I'm wondering if the frame mounts for the engine can be cut off and welded in a different spot about 6 inches forward WITHOUT weakening the frame itself. I heard today that the hydro-formed frames don't like welding/cutting heat.

Anyone know for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I moved this thread here, hoping for anyone's opinion. Let me know.

GM welds the frame mount portion of the engine mounts to the frame now...not like the old days where you had 4 sets of holes so you could move the mounts anywhere you needed them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 04:26 AM

you will have to find out how the manf. says to repair the frame and use the same guidlines

welding on hydro frames is not impossible just different.. most of it has to be sleaved with a backing plate or reinforced in some way.. which may provide a difficulty for you reinforcing the boxed sections around the engine area with no way to get on the inside of it.. there are parts of it that shouldn't be modified like crumple/crush zones that if messed with could create a liablity problem for you, not to mention will make the vehicle not safe in a wreck

all metal now on late model cars is made of special alloys (high strength and so on) especially on hydro frames... heat time and temp guidlines MUST! be followed or the frame will be weakened.... they are available from the manf. or collison repair books and tell how long and how hot certain parts of the vehicle can be heated

what exactly are you working on i'll see if i can dig up some real tech info like i described
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks J! I've been doing research on installing a Dmax in a Suburban, but going about it in a whole lot easier way than the fabricators currently doing the swap. (They replace the entire front frame section.) I had assumed that GM used offset frame mounts on the HD diesel chassis, while gassers used even-spaced mounts. So the question was originally, how to move the pass. side mount.

I was over at DmaxalliTech's shop yesterday, and he has a truck-sans-engine that he working on. This gave me the opportunity to give the frame a much closer inspection. With Eric Stanley's help, I found I may not have to move the frame mounts. I had already done a "map" of a gasser 3/4 ton frame earlier last week, and I found that the two frames are darn close to identical. If there are any big differences, he and I cannot see them. The width between the rails is exactly the same, the frame mounts are the same, the engine mounts are the same style, etc, etc..

What we did find is that it looks as though GM may have just used offset engine mounts on the Dmax! The right one is offset to the rear, the left is offset to the front. This gives a total offset of about 4 inches. This is good news if correct!

I WILL keep in mind what you said, because I will still probably have a need for the info!

Next up....figuring out just what exactly IS the "2 inch body lift" that GM adds to the HD's for the Allison. It sure isn't the rubber donut mounts...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 09:27 PM

i like your idea too... but i would make sure where for reinforced the frame and reproduce it on your frame.. i wouldn't that DMAX coming loose, that could get ugly

section a frame really isn't that difficult though, if you wanted to do it the way the other guys are... just find a rear ended or even better a rolled truck with no frame damage in the junk yard and lop it off right infront of the front cab mounts... sleave the frame and weld it on yours, i'm going to say just the frame work not everying else involved could be done in weekend.. it might end up being easier than modifing a existing frame with differnet perches if you have to re-engineer the motor perch/frame sections too much at all

i though the HD chevys used taller cab mounts for the body lift?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLayne
i like your idea too... but i would make sure where for reinforced the frame and reproduce it on your frame.. i wouldn't that DMAX coming loose, that could get ugly

section a frame really isn't that difficult though, if you wanted to do it the way the other guys are... just find a rear ended or even better a rolled truck with no frame damage in the junk yard and lop it off right infront of the front cab mounts... sleave the frame and weld it on yours, i'm going to say just the frame work not everying else involved could be done in weekend.. it might end up being easier than modifing a existing frame with differnet perches if you have to re-engineer the motor perch/frame sections too much at all

i though the HD chevys used taller cab mounts for the body lift?
The frames are exactly the same as far as we could tell. We did not see any extra stregthening ribs or gussets anywhere on the Dmax frame.

As for the body lift, it may be that the body perches on the frame are two inches taller. The donuts are the same. I could get around that by using a 2" body lift kit for a Silverado.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode