Ospho Rust Treatment - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JLayne, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 3621 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Ospho Rust Treatment

Has anyone used this?

http://www.ospho.com/index.html

I talked to someone today that said it was good stuff especially for restorations... basically he explainded it as the same stuff that works in POR15 except without the paint... you apply this stuff let it set overnight and apply primer over the treated metal

has anyone used this under epoxy primer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 05:33 PM

I really don't see a need for it at all because if you have any rust present you're crazy not to remove it (vs. hoping a 'rust converter' works and holds out over time).

As far as using it over clean bare metal prepared with 80 grit sand scratches before applying epoxy I don't see a need either. Your worst case scenario is if you had an adhesion failure from the metal most coating companies are going to point fingers at Ospho to get out of the claim then Ospho would most likely point the finger back if they knew it wasn't their fault.

7 days after application our epoxy will pass a 1400+ hr salt spray test and an adhesion test from $25 per roll HD industrial duct tape so we don't see a need for it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLayne
Has anyone used this?

http://www.ospho.com/index.html

I talked to someone today that said it was good stuff especially for restorations... basically he explainded it as the same stuff that works in POR15 except without the paint... you apply this stuff let it set overnight and apply primer over the treated metal

has anyone used this under epoxy primer?
Yes used it, No not under epoxy. It worked great on an old camper step. It would have cost more than a new one to blast it clean so i gave it a try. Just single part enamel on top. 2 years and no rust return.

Next time I had a problem after the shelf life had expired. Not sure if it was my fault for using it below 40 degrees and allowing only 24hrs dry time or the shelf life. It bubbled back thru rattle can primer--acid gassing i assume.

I agree removal is the best cure for rust. Exterior body is worth removing it, and is easily reached and can be cut out. Other things and frames i like to give these products a shot. Por-15 is just a very sticky paint. Perhaps a rejected fiberglass resin or varnish formula as it's one part. No active ingrediant like the tannin in converters. What it tries to do is seal rust from oxygen and moisture. Doubt the claims because none of the big paint companys offer their own version of it and they wouldn't pass on something marketable. Got some exposed to sunlight that rerusted.

The ospho is used by steel ship repainters. There is an acid bubbling reaction when it touches metal. Don't know how it would do under automotive quality paints. Why not run a test on some old scrap sheet metal? It always rerusts quick. Might be a good product for inside of doors etc.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 AM

Bump to the top. I'm working a section of frame and can't get all the rust out. I'm going to try epoxy over an ospho treatment. Will report back.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

please post it, i'm interested in the stuff but haven't bought a bottle yet
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

I used to use it in my family business, for really rusty shelves which would then be covered with machinery enamel. While I had good results with it, we ended up just using a good primer in most applications, since we needed to wire brush them anyway for the Ospho.

I used it with good results to temporarily treat rust on car body panels. It seemed to really slow down the spread of the rust. In most cases I just rattle-can sprayed over it, and the area would look okay for years. I have spots on my race car trailer fenders which started rusting in the salty air of Eastern NC. I wirebrushed them and treated them with Ospho, but never got around to primering or painting. So far the rust has not returned (6 years later, but 4 of those years in Oregon). I may even paint them one of these days!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ISSPRO Engineering Manager

1995 F350 PSD Crew Cab Dually, 271k miles
10 ISSPRO Prototype Performax™ gauges in Pillar & Overhead pods & sitting on dash, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps, Swamps tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
32' enclosed tag trailer with 2 drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tune, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
NRA member and certified firearms instructor, GOA Life member, IDPA member
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 04:35 AM

I have been waiting to make sure there has been no reaction or bubbling. The instructions say to test it with epoxy primers. I'm happy to say it works under PPG's omni epoxy primer and after 4 days all is well. I acid treated the rust on my frame and there was some pits that weren't coming to clean metal after an hour. I neutralized the acid with a water and household ammonia mix, which left flash rust. The Ospho removed the flash and turned the pitted areas black as advertised. After letting it dry overnite it was scuffed with scotch brite and epoxy primered. Then topcoated with Omni's urethane enamel (Same as Dupont's Imron). All looks good so far. I prefered using this to the other products like extend because they are latex based--not sure thats the best choice under auto paint. Time will tell if the rust is gone, i know Ospho works under simple paints like rustolem oils. The only problem i had with Ospho was trying to use it with rattle can primers and topcoats in 30-40 degree temps on an old rim, after 24 hrs it bubbled back thru. I think removal of rust is best on sheet metal, but too labor intensive on somethings like frames where access is a problem as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode