Thinking Of Doing A Project "Whiteout" - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bigdraft, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1735 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
The Big Meanie

Thinking Of Doing A Project "Whiteout"

Allright, here goes. When the hauler bed gets installed on the Dodge, it will be white. Shortly after that, the cab of the truck is gonna get done the same color white. What I'm thinking about doing is making EVERYTHING white......meaning............

door handles.................................white
black plastic grill pieces...................white
tinted hood deflector......................white
tinted vent visors...........................white

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this? I was thinking it would look kinda cool. If so, then over the winter when the Powerstroke gets new body panels and a new paintjob, I was thinking of doing the same thing to it.

WATCHA THINK??????????

kevin

1996 Dodge 3500 Ex. Cab LB Wide Hipper
Boys Stroke It...Men RAM It
Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member
If I Get Caught Drunk On My Horse, Is It A DUI Or A RUI???

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS
What Is A Farm With No Barns?

Quote:
[Today 9:22 PM] GrnMachineLover: I just think diesels in cars are funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdraft
Allright, here goes. When the hauler bed gets installed on the Dodge, it will be white. Shortly after that, the cab of the truck is gonna get done the same color white. What I'm thinking about doing is making EVERYTHING white......meaning............

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this? I was thinking it would look kinda cool. If so, then over the winter when the Powerstroke gets new body panels and a new paintjob, I was thinking of doing the same thing to it.

WATCHA THINK??????????

kevin

It could look nice, but IMO some contrast is nice vs. having everything all one color. Besides, I would think that the paint on the hood deflector would chip fairly quickly, given how much abuse those things take and once it chips, it will look pretty bad.

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
In the passing lane

Send a message via AIM to countryboy88
Add some contrast. I would leave the bug deflector alone, but paint the doorhandles and leave the surrounds the chrome. The grille do it billet, and the visors leave those be. Just my 2 cents.

Truck: 1990 Ford F-250 5.0 EFI, 4x4 , Longbed, 5 speed w/ Hurst shifter, K&N FIPK, Line-X Bed liner, Ford Racing Valve Covers, 2 1/2 in exhaust w/ 4 inch SS tips, A pillar pod filled with Autometer Pro Comp Ultra Lites , Custom switch box w/ 5 switch panel, and more to come

In The Passing Lane
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Super limo owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Limo
I think it will look good I have seen it before on fords so I would say it would be ok

Kyle

2001 Ford F-350 crew cab long bed srw black gauges boost and pyro Dp 4 pos chip. Straight piped 4 in lift with 35`s . Acetone emblems
CAN YOU KEEP UP??

Everyone dies but not everyone lives

AKA COOLUA Got A NEW NAME!

LOOK AT MY NEW PICS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 AM

do what ya like, if you want it all white, go for it. I painted my truck, I chose colors I liked. as far as your bug squasher deflecter thingy, you might have a cleaner look if you found a thick auto vinyl that was white, that way when you get rock chips and scratches and whatever else, you peel it off and put on a nice clean one. and since it came up, heres my truck... I redid the interior too, again just a personnal preference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big truck 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	5711   Click image for larger version

Name:	big truck 009.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	5712  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM

sounds good to me... one day i'm going to do the same.... except mine will be a blackout
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:54 PM

yeah I would do a Blackout too, like above^^^

-Charley, 1995 Nissan hardbody, single cab,2.4 i-4, 5spd, straight piped - 4.5in tip, 2x Rockford Fosgate R1's

Quote:
"I Caught that diesel thing, now it stings when I pee"
The Diesel Garage.com
Can You Keep Up??
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 12:19 PM

The trick to keeping the bug deflector from chipping is getting a clear one and painting the inside white--that's the way it's done at the bodyshop. Not perfect but no chips and they definitely protect your investment.

I think the white would look kewl too, but what a nightmare to keep debugged and clean. Still........there are way more blackouts than whiteouts and kinda puts you in a unique truck. BFFL wants flames on her truck, but gold is difficult to do that to and make look good.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:29 PM
MAFIA #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdraft

WATCHA THINK??????????

kevin
Kevin, Let me give you my input on this as a fellw DIY'er.

If the item you are painting has a texture to it, then sand it down completely smooth before you start to paint anything.

As long as there isn't any imperfections that need to be fixed i would start by washing it with soap and water then with wax and grease remover and a lint free rag don't forget to clean the parts before you do anything
then wet sand the part up so your the next step has something to bite into with 400-600 grit then i would spray some adheasion promoter on it followed by a couple coats of sanding primer. Sand that down with 400-600 again then put 3-4 coats of base on it and wet sand with 2000 after it dries be very sure not to sand too much your just giving the clear something to bite to. lastly clear it

be sure to use a tack cloth in between step everytime you spray (adheasion promoter/primer/base/clear)

I tryed to do everything by using bought paint and everything and it looked GREAT until I sprayed the clear. I ended up sanding it down and using spray cans and now my mirrors look great. I did this exact thing on my handles back in the spring and they are still holding up great. If you have any questions just let me know...

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
4cstr

Biggie...I did this to my door handles and the cowl of my truck. I love the way it looks. The lines to me seem much more cleaner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode