Home remedies (Dent Repair) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ovruigo, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1904 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia 23

Home remedies (Dent Repair)

This is not the cure for all dents, so dont expect to see good results with this technique if you plan on removing a dent caused by a collision with a deer

First off this is best used when you have some access to the back side of the sheet metal.

I recently jack knifed a 5x8 utility trailer while leaving work after an 18 hr. shift.
The result was a 4 inch crease in the sheet metal just above the rear bumper on the passenger side rear quarter panel.
I took a large soup spoon from the Fiance's silver ware drawer and slid it into the area behind the dent and patiently worked the dent out using a lever and fulcrum action. I found that if I tried to use too much pressure I distorted the metal far too aggressively but if I took my time and worked on the entire length of the crease uniformly I saw good results.
Once I worked out all the dent I could reach "limited only by the length and rigidty of the spoon" I decided to make my own tool that I could reach the rest of the dent with.
I decided on a piece of 1"x8"x 1/8" galvinized metal banding material.
First I chose the end of the metal strip that I would fashion into a spoon shape (A spoon has no edges to dimple the dody panel) I then heated the metal so I could easily pound a spoon shape into it with a ballpeen hammer. Be carefull not to over heat the metal because you could take the tempering out of the metal and it will then be too soft to use as a lever. After heating and pounding a few times I had the perfect bowl shape I needed for dent removal. To finish getting the spoon shape I used a bench grinder to round off the square corners of the metal strap on the spoon end. I also lightly ground the bottom of the spoon to a smooth finish to take out some of the dimples left from the ballpeen hammer. A good backer for pounding on would be a Piece of 2x6 wood, so you dont flat spot your spoon.
With my new tool I was able to get to the rest of the dent. I can't say I got all of the dent out, but I would say the results were good enough to go through the whole process again if I had to.

I have other little rock dings on my truck that I need to address, when I tackle them I will get pics (before*After) and also of the tool I made.

I know some of you are thinking it would be easier to call the dent wizard, but I am cheap and if I can do it my self I would rather go ahead and do it.

:Thumbup:

~C.A.~

06 5.9 3500 DRW auto w/ smarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 05:25 PM

I have a 3" crease dent in the rear quarter panel of my rig, I am going out now to try this....Thanks...I'm afraid of doing more damage and wrinkling the metal, I may put a piece of thick fabric under the spoon first to lessen the direct force on the crease. Just experiment I guess.....and I am WAY too cheep to call the dent wizard. That dent has been there for a year.
Thanks
Jess
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia 23
Threadstarter

I felt the same way when I went out to try this myself. Just be patient and go slow. Dont try to do to much all at once. If you are slow and steady and you dont try to smooth it out in five min. it should prove to provide positive results.

~C.A.~

06 5.9 3500 DRW auto w/ smarty
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 PM

I had a dent in my rear finder that was there for over a year. It was about 3" long and had a small vertical crease in the center of it. I went down to Pep Boys and bought the Pops a Dent and tryed that. It worked great. It took 8 tryes and about a hour to get it to come out but it did. As for the crease it is still there but if you dont know it, you cant see it. The crease is vary hard to see now. If you have a dent that you cant get behind go out and buy one I know you will be happy like me. It only cost me 20 bucks. Sure beat paying 160 bucks to have someone to remove it for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode