Epoxy primer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by RacerX, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1219 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Epoxy primer

Is there any protection advantage to using epoxy primer over anything but bare metal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM

I always use expoy, it seems to hold up better. And is much thicker so I would imagine it would protect much better too.

07 3500 5.9 QC LB AT 4x4 Edge Additude w/hot unlock S&B intake 5" Magnaflow exhaust
Trucks Sold
93 F250 7.3 Turbo SC LB 5 Speed 4x4 XLT Stock
2006 F350 6.0 CC LB AT 4x4 King Ranch SCT etc
2003 F350 7.3 SC LB AT 4x4 XLT H2E and more
1993 F250 7.3 LB IDI 2wd 5 speed XL Pump turned up
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71

I work in a plant where we see a pH of 2.0 to 6.0 and the PPG epoxy seems to hold up pretty good. I also used it on a truck chassis about a year ago and then top coated it with gloss black.

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/hpcoat.htm

1999 F-350 7.3L CREW CAB DUALLY, LIVE TUNING BY DP TUNER, 180cc SINGLES, REGULATED RETURN FUEL SYSTEM, PRE-PUMP AND IN TANK FUEL SYSTEM AND OVER BOOST ANNIHILATOR BY ITP DIESEL, DR MINI PACKS TO LEVEL THE RIDE, 6" AUSSIE STACKS BY GRANDROCK, AFE STAGE II INTAKE, TURBO MODS BY HTT, 05 HEAD LIGHT CONVERSION WITH UPGRADE WIRING HARNESS BY DFUSER, 05 GRILL, 05 6 SPEED UPGRADE, SHORT THROW SHIFTER AND LUK CLUTCH BY MIDWEST TRANSMISSION , CCV MOD, LINE-X , QUAD POD FILLED WITH AUTO METER C2 GUAGES, CUSTOM SLED PULLING HITCH, COOLANT FILTER SETUP
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Bouncer

Epoxy primer will fill in and cover better than a conventional primer. It is also more durable, sandable, and will let paint adhere to it better.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Smells better TOO!

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I usually strip everything down to bare metal, and then once the panels are cleaned thoroughly, I will usually use a self-etching primer (sometimes), and then use an epoxy. IMO, epoxy is the way to go!:Thumbup: You can spend alot of time preping the panels and then shoot them in epoxy, then take a break as long as you need. You can even put the vehicle outside in the weather, as the epoxy is not porous, like conventional primer.

Once the vehicle has epoxy on it, you hen can do your bodywork, and then use high-build primers, or conventional ones, to build up the surface, and then block it down.

But, overall, yes use the epoxy!!! (Even though it is expensive):Thumbup:

2008 Dodge 2500 Mega Ram, SLT, Powered by a little 'ol 408 cubic inch six cylinder!!!

Chrysler's warranty = Not worth the paper it is printed on!!!

Gone, but not forgotten!!!
1997 FORD F-250 HD
7.3L, XLT, Off-Road Package
3.55's, E4OD, 4wd, Dana 60 swap, 3" Sky RSK, 315/70/17's on Racelines.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I do more reading than painting. Epoxy has a rep for tight bonding. Some have primered bare metal and left it in epoxy outdoors with excellant rust protection. (me too, i mix a dab for spot protection on scratches) Some don't like the self etch primer with epoxy and fear acid bubble up. Their idea is a scratch sanding etch/bond and just epoxy is better. I have an experiment with epoxy over an acid base rust converter and it's holding good.

I'm wondering if the tight bond applies only to bare metal or any previously painted surface? Thanks for weighing in, I haven't checked in here lately. PPG's omni line is the local body shop favorite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode