I've got some rot spots - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by WNYPA, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1195 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?

Send a message via AIM to WNYPA
I've got some rot spots

Men,

I've got a few rot spots, on my truck, enough that I think if I let em go the winter bad things will happen.

I'll get some pics and post them later.

My question is, what can "I" do to take care of them even if its just a temporary fix. I've very short on funds until plowing season is underway. then I won't have time to have the truck down.

I've got a few cans of POR15 on the shelf I could touch them up, but I don't want it to look like crap. I don't have a compressor any more it finally took a dump. so this will likely be a rattle can, or brush job.

The areas are in the fendr well lip area, and behind each tire. I was thinking about sanding them down a little, and masking them off just above the highest rust spot, and laying down a black stripe of POR15 from the wheel well to the rear bumper. Then brush some up in the fender lips, and in the drivers door near the kick pannel.

Is this a bad idea?

What would it cost to have this professionally done? all corners have the peeling paint and corrosion.

2000 F-350 NVK5, XLT Island Blue 7.3 PSD 3:73LS Reg Cab LB, 151,000 mi. and counting! STOCK EXCEPT:BTS Transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AutoEnginuity 3.4, GI-normous, Home made Tymar, CCV mod, HX-MOD, Heater-plug mod, "Custom 6-pos Chip", Autometer Z-Series Gauge pod, Beans Stage 2 Single-Shots, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X869/Sirius Satilite, 8" Fisher plow, 407.1 hp / 849.1 ftlbs 13.686 @96.69
In Proud Support of Fat Kid Pullers! Keep on Pullin Joe and Brian!!! :bow:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYPA
Men,

I've got a few rot spots, on my truck, enough that I think if I let em go the winter bad things will happen.

I'll get some pics and post them later.

My question is, what can "I" do to take care of them even if its just a temporary fix. I've very short on funds until plowing season is underway. then I won't have time to have the truck down.

I've got a few cans of POR15 on the shelf I could touch them up, but I don't want it to look like crap. I don't have a compressor any more it finally took a dump. so this will likely be a rattle can, or brush job.

The areas are in the fendr well lip area, and behind each tire. I was thinking about sanding them down a little, and masking them off just above the highest rust spot, and laying down a black stripe of POR15 from the wheel well to the rear bumper. Then brush some up in the fender lips, and in the drivers door near the kick pannel.

Is this a bad idea?
Maybe $ wise. If you follow the instructions for Por15 and buy the other products recommended: You basically apply a chemical rust remover called marine clean. That in itself if done correctly will remove rust. At that point you could use any automotive paint coating for protection instead of $30 per qt por 15. Sorry por15. I have done the math, wood varnish would do almost as well for less $. For the best look until it can be finished correctly: Use a color matching base coat after a chemical rust remover. Even in a preval sprayer or dabbed with a foam brush. About $9 for a half pint would be enough plus solvent if sprayed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:50 AM

Thought i'd put up some photos of backyard chemical heavy rust removal. No wire brushing was done, just a dunk in a cut open soda bottle as a tank. Before, than @ 10 minutes and finished @ 20 minutes @ 80 degrees outside temp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rustymetal.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	6750   Click image for larger version

Name:	brewing.jpg
Views:	3397
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	6751   Click image for larger version

Name:	10minutedunk.jpg
Views:	8208
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	6752   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanmetal.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	6753  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?
Threadstarter

what chemical???

2000 F-350 NVK5, XLT Island Blue 7.3 PSD 3:73LS Reg Cab LB, 151,000 mi. and counting! STOCK EXCEPT:BTS Transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AutoEnginuity 3.4, GI-normous, Home made Tymar, CCV mod, HX-MOD, Heater-plug mod, "Custom 6-pos Chip", Autometer Z-Series Gauge pod, Beans Stage 2 Single-Shots, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X869/Sirius Satilite, 8" Fisher plow, 407.1 hp / 849.1 ftlbs 13.686 @96.69
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?
Threadstarter

Ok well last night I did it. well half of it. still needs another coat.

I wire wheeled the rust off, used the marine clean, then the etching spray, and masked off the area, I brushed on a thin coat of POR14 base coat. I'll do another coat of POR15 UV resistant black. later.

I'll snap some before and after pics tonight after I get out of work. I still have the drivers side to do as the exhaust was in the way on the pass side and it too alot of fooling arround to sand the area.

Reason I went with the Black POR was because I had a few pints left over from a previous project. The local Paint shop wanted 80$ a pint for my color, and of course they don't even list my color code in any of the books. ANYWHERE?!?!? Island Blue Metalic SUCKS! they said they could match it, but I might have to do some blending and it might not be perfect. I was like no. I'd rather have it be obviously wrong than half azzed.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?
Threadstarter

I will add before I post pics, that YES it does look a little redneck, but I think when its all done it will look a little mean if I do the steel wheels the same way.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 05:34 PM

Wow $80 a pint. Just got a pint of Dark Tourmaline metallic base in PPG's omni line for the $9. Fancy name for Green. Chemical I will pm to you. Not good for body work as it will run down inside the panel and cause problems if you cant get it flushed out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?
Threadstarter

he said anywhere from 40-80 a pt. maybe it was a quart who knows, he said it was the least ammount they would sell.

I said you allready hit me for 80 in POR15 a month ago, I'll just go use it up.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?
Threadstarter

well, its been a while I got a few photos,

Here are some rust shots, I don't have any pics of the rear before the paint, but trust me it was MUCH WORSE than the other spots. paint was peeling 2 inches up from the botton and from the wheel well, rear to the bumper.

Almost done with the rear, needs a top coat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode