Where can I find a patch panel? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TheBac, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 2431 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Where can I find a patch panel?

We've got a 1991 Cavalier Z24 in the garage. Before you ask, "Why the heck are you bothering?", it would make a decent 3rd car. It's the first car my wife ever bought, and is still in pretty good shape, but needs rust work. I can do the surface repairs, but the drivers side rear quarter has a hole in the wheel well area right where the bumper valence begins.
I've seen a lot of old Cavaliers with this exact same rust hole, in the same spot. Is there a company out there that makes a patch panel for this area, or am I stuck with forming a piece of metal from scratch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 AM

On a beater the 1 part foam that comes in an can makes good glue and filler so that the back is not rusted through in a short time.

With the panel solid a skim coat of bondo cut to shape with a sureform file and covered with microlite filler.

Hold the patch panel in place with a magnet and the foam keeps the water from getting into the back ot the filler.

Paint with solvent base paint other than lacquer, boat paint esp polyurathane is good. Let it cure for a couple of weeks and use enamel touchup paint, even with a brush the rust holes are gone from 20 feet for $50 or so.

The foam is good for repairs in the south where the lacework is the edge of the hood and trunk - fill the space so water can't get to the inside of the 2 panels where the paint does not go

keydl
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:34 AM

Hello,
Could you provide a little more detail on this method? Do you spray a thin bead of foam on the patch panel and then push it in place and hold it with the magnets until the foam dries?

How much overlap do you need of patch versus original metal?

How long will the foam hold? I would think that over time the vibration of the panel would eventually ( couple of months?) loosen the panel.

Thanks,
Pigseye
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM

JC Whitney might be able help you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 AM

The patch on the Isuzu has been on for 8 years and was cut 2 inches overlap.
The bed has an innerliner that collected trash,I pressure washed the inside and the liner panel and treated with rust converter (Ospho). Then I buttered a little foam on the overlap and filled the space between the two panels.
I stuck a couple of welding magnets on to hold things while the foam set up.
A coat of bondo, but it had pinholes in it so I covered that with Microlite Filler.
Both products are permiable and so will let some water through to start the rust agin. The marine paint is the next step down from automotive paint, is water proof and if the color is only close a light coat of touchup paint will change the color to match after it cures.

I use the 1 part foam in a can to fill spaces on the hood that the paint does not get to, the high humidity will make lacework out of the lead edge of a hood but the foam covers the back so the water can't get in and if it is chipped from the front the foam glues the hood and liner togather. It also cuts panel drumming and engine noise.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Funny this should come back up....I got to talking to a summer temp driver that does bodywork on the side...he told me that on the 2nd gen Cav's, you can use the pass side front fender as a patch panel for the driver's rear! So all I have to do is find a fender. Wow convenient is that?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Mill Supply has patch panels for Cavalier.
http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_pan....htm?r=ru&p=sm

Ken
:-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode