Wet sanding black paint? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by D-Man, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1894 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Wet sanding black paint?

I was watching some 4x4 show last Sunday and they had a black Jeep on that they did some modding on. One of the things they did was to restore the paint. It had swirl marks, tiny scratches, which is what I also have.
They used 2000 grit wet sand paper and some kind of three part buffing/ polish compound but I didn't get the name of the product used.
like I said, it was three part that used three different buffing pads.
Can anyone tell me what to use and what works best?
Also, where can I buy this stuff and what type of buffer tool should I use.
Thanks,

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM

If you've never wet-sanded your truck is not the place to start.

Find yourself a donor vehicle or at least a hood or trunk lid first.

Wayne will pop up here soon with Adam's Polishes (site sponsor) and I think you can find all the information you'll ever want or need at www.meguiarsonline.com forums.

Post up some bright sunlight or halogen light/flash-assisted photos so we can see what types of swirls and scratched you have. That'll give the forums a better idea of how to steer you toward what you need.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, I'll see what kind of photos I can come up with. Might be a few days because you can only see them in sunlight, and it is cold and snowing here today.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Let Me See Yo Grille

I didnt know what I needed through adam's polishes and honestly didn't want to wait on it to be shipped. I know, I know Im impatient. But, I washed my truck real good and got the meguiars clay bar kit. (comes with 2 clay bars, a towel, spray bottle, and sample of cleaning wax). That worked well and then I went back over with a coat of Meguiars NXT(I think thats the name) and it came out very well. I still have some scratches and Im sure there is something better out there but I was impatient on a saturday, but it came out pretty good. :Thumbup:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM

D-man - If you have a xenon or halogen flashlight, grab your camera and take a "reflection" pic using the flashlight to simulate direct sunlight. You can take those in a garage where it's warmer, if you have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWhiteSicksO
I didnt know what I needed through adam's polishes and honestly didn't want to wait on it to be shipped. I know, I know Im impatient. But, I washed my truck real good and got the meguiars clay bar kit. (comes with 2 clay bars, a towel, spray bottle, and sample of cleaning wax). That worked well and then I went back over with a coat of Meguiars NXT(I think thats the name) and it came out very well. I still have some scratches and Im sure there is something better out there but I was impatient on a saturday, but it came out pretty good. :Thumbup:
You weren't impatient on Saturday. You were cold! laugh

The clay bar kit and NXT is a good starter combo. We should do a truck detail day for the Carolinas PSD guys sometime. Maybe that'll be the Adam's vs. Meguiars test day :shrug:

I know more than a couple of guys who need their trucks detailed. Me included. :sofa

There's a local (to Greenville, SC) Meguiar's place up on Pleasantburg, just off 29 where you can get most anything they sell. We need to get Jody & Diane down with their stock of Adam's stuff.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Let Me See Yo Grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainredtruck

There's a local (to Greenville, SC) Meguiar's place up on Pleasantburg, just off 29 where you can get most anything they sell. We need to get Jody & Diane down with their stock of Adam's stuff.

prt

that place is closed on saturday, I went by there. Would've been nice to go up there and talk to them and find out exactly what to get, but doesn't help much when nobody's there. :deal:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 PM

Yep, forgot to mention that But most local paint & body shop supply houses (Finishmaster) have Meguiar's stuff on hand. They probably have some type of foam pads, but I don't know what type, brand, etc.

There's nobody at Harris' that can steer you in the right direction. We can meet up some time for lunch and head over there to see what you need.

Or you can borrow some of my stuff when I get it back from my Dad.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd