Rail Dust - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_BigGreen, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1038 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Rail Dust

I have a new company car that I got in late January. I've taken it throught the no-touch carwashes a couple of times and I've washed it by hand twice. One time a couple weeks ago and once today. I only used a water hose w/ the water running the whole time & a rag when I hand washed it. I've norticed somewhat of a rough feel when going over flat surfaces like the hood & the roof. Supposing this is rail dust, what's the best way to clean it? My job often takes me into fabrication yards where blasting & painting are close-by (w/in a hundred yards or so). The blasting & painting are always inside of a building, but the doors usually don't get closed. So some of the roughness I'm feeling could also be from the fab yards.

I've used a clay-bar on a past vehicle w/ great results, but since it is just a company car, I am hoping to not use somethig so labor intensive. But I will if I have too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:03 AM

Yep. Clay bar that thing, then follow with a good polish and follow that with a good wax.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
fordt

I use Adams clay bar on my 2007 a month or so after I got it, and the results were amazing. It does take some time, but if you are looking for the best results.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah, I figured that was the answer I'd get. Seeing as how it's just a company car, it not real high on my "to do" list. I'll see if I can pick some up in the next few weeks.

I'll at least try to pick up something to use on my windshield. The wipers sond like they're on sandpaper.

Thanks,
BG
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 AM

And black is the worst....

Josh Davis
32 Lugnuts, 4 gallons of rotella Syn, 5 gallons of coolant, Two Heads, 8 Pistons, 7 U-Joints, 8 Injectors and some exhaust.
You know you are doing something right when the Ford dealers call you for parts.
6.0L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2w7Ciaut8
6.4L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmgiQg4G8E
WWW.RIVERCITYDIESEL.COM
(309) 699-2488
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah it is, but it looks SO good when it's clean.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 AM

Hey BigGreen,

Sounds like the Clay Bar will be needed. A family member of mine got a new company car less than two weeks ago, it was rougher than heck.

As you said, since it is a company vehicle, it wasn't one of my highest priorities. So a couples days ago I was having some trouble sleeping and decided to go down in the garage and clay it. Took about 20 minutes (midsize car) and it is now smooth as glass. Speaking of glass, if you clay the car, clay the windows as well. You would not believe how much junk is on them. Claying the windshield will eliminate the sandpaper type sound you are hearing and give you better visibility when it is raining.

If you have anymore questions, please let me know.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Cool. Thanks for the tip on claying the glass. I'm definately goingt o clay the car eventually. I was wondering how claying the glass would turn out. I've had to clean overspray off of glass before. At the time I used 0000 grade steel wool. Anything finer that 00 will not scratch the glass. The steel wool work well on glass also, but it leaves behind an oily residue that has to be cleaned w/ a pretty strong cleaner.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 PM

not saying that i would but a friend of mine that has been doing bodywork for years told me that he used (CLR) that drain cleaning stuff. he said do a little at a time and dont leave it on long. havent tried it so do it at you own risk.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 PM

I would not recommend CLR as it contains some stout acid(s). I avoid all strong chemical on clear coat. I will atest that the Clay Bar and some time are the best method out there. Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode