Plastic filler - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hhrecovery, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1157 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8

Garage
Plastic filler

Is there anything out there that can fill low spots in plastic... I am working on a few small projects and wondering if there is anything out there like a plastic "bondo":Thumbup:

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 AM

i think ever coat makes a good one that sticks to plastic very well. there are several bonding agents for it also . Cant think of the names right now ill have to get into the body shops cabinet tomorrow to get the exact names. the key is to clean it extremely well before using anything

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 AM

The type of plastic makes a big difference. There are bumper repair kits that will fix a lot of the plastics on a truck.

For little spots, prime and Microlite works for me. It flexes almost as well as the bumper kits. Adhision promoter may be needed to get the prime to stick well but the finish filler sticks to open primer ( after it is ready for color coat and before it needs to be sanded to paint).

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keydl
The type of plastic makes a big difference. There are bumper repair kits that will fix a lot of the plastics on a truck.

For little spots, prime and Microlite works for me. It flexes almost as well as the bumper kits. Adhision promoter may be needed to get the prime to stick well but the finish filler sticks to open primer ( after it is ready for color coat and before it needs to be sanded to paint).

keydl
It is going to be a couple of the plastic pieces under the hood. They are pretty stiff and really wont have to flex much...:Thumbup:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM

Todays plastic cleaners and the most modern repair fillers that are made for plastics really do remove the need to identify the type of plastics. the right cleaners take care of all kinds of release agents in all types of plastics. also the the same goes for the most modern up to date fillers. Not that its a bad idea to identify it but most dont know how to that. if you go to a jobber and ask for there plastic system they can set you up right.

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
MAFIA #8
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keydl

keydl
Where can this be picked up at???

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 AM

Most of the chain stores have 3 products for plastic filler - fibered ( Gorilla Hair ), standard filler ( if your technique is perfect this is all you need ) and finish ( Microlite is the local finish filler ).

In lifts under 1/16 in the finish will bend very well but is is a little short on extension, bend a bumper 90 deg and the outside will crack but bent inside it will not. Most of the paint does not work that well.

Bondo is the most common filler - quarts and gallons, the other are usually only in quarts.

When the fibered filler first came out it was used with screen to span a gap of 2-3 in. Since I have learned that the filler is not waterproof, 2 years after a surface that was ground for filler is rusty when the filler is torched out, so now a hole is cut for a steel backer with epoxy ( at first ) or acrylic caulk for glue. If the part appears to have a nontension stress I still use epoxy.

For connecting plastic under the hood ( air cleaner, snorkle, battery box, relay cover..... ) the product that may be a good choice is acrylic caulk. It will NOT stick to HDPE but not much will but the commercial kit. Epoxy does not do well with polycarbanete. Kydex will stick with most glue. Goop ureathane glue is one of the most universal glues - 20 different labels for the same Shoe Goo, a bit messy though, like butyl. That is the reason that I suggested that the type of plastic made a difference.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 AM

Im not disagreeing with you, and your methods and statement are not wrong. Im only suggesting that on the industrial level there are advanced cleaners and fillers out now that cover a huge spectrum of plastics. this is done to avoid the confusion of how to identify so many different plastics. This also cuts down on the amount of products you need to stock. instead of having 5 different cleaners and repairers, you now only have two of each .

Modern car paint is the same way today. most have one maybe two different cleaners used after a warm soapy water bath. then one adhesion promoter. I know of one paint brand that doesnt even use a different adhesion promoter any more, instead they simply use a different additive in the sealer for when using over plastics. Again this is done to minimize the confusion and the over head of products. I know that not all paint companies have adopted this yet .

I suggest these newer types of products cause they really do work, we are trained on them often . also most people dont know how to identify types of plastics (HDPE, PPO, TPO, ect. ) as i said i dont disagree with you at all. i was trying to make it simple for someone who i "assume " doesnt know the type they are working with. Maybe the first question we should have asked is exactly what plastic parts are they repairing .

You mentioned a chain store, You probably would not find the types of products that im talking about in a chain store. most likely a jobber that specializes in supplying to body shops and mechanical shops and deal little in walk in public .

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 AM

You are correct if....

They have a pro outlet that will sell to them - I generally have a good idea of what I want and that the counter where I am asking has it but have been turned away many times because I am not in the approved list,despite having a resale number.

They have training in the use of the product. I can read tech better than most but I have read some that was written by tech writers with much less skill as a writer than I have, starting from zero the directions won't work as written. One was dangerous because of a sentence that was not there.

The nearest vendor that will sell over the counter is 5 times the price and a 70 mile trip. Every month or 2 there is one 250 miles away that is competitive and sells over the counter.

The chains are no place for a pro - their paint technology on the shelf precedes enamel, maybe they sell it to sniff the thinner. But next to the paint is adhesive promoter, go figure.

There is also plastic welding, generally my choice for repair, and the cosmetic is just that. The first piece took waay to long and a lot to many tries to get it to work, but I had a use for some HDPE tanks of an odd shape.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 AM

if you ever need something that a Jobber wont sell you , let me know, ill get it and send it to you. I can get it cheaper with our shops discount also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode