Brushed Stainless Steel look - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by AKCCF350, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1132 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Brushed Stainless Steel look

I am going to add some brushed stainless parts to the interior and was wondering if anyone knows a method to paint some of the plastic trim pieces to match the real SS pieces.
Thanks

97 F350 CC LB 4x4 7.3L
Tymar Intake, DP Tuner F-5, Straight Exhaust, 37" Cooper STT II,
SuperDuty Quad-Pod

Parts sitting waiting to install: Moonvisor, 1.0 Exh. Housing, White Faced Dash Gauges, Air Horns (still need compressor)

All Mods on hold as of 2-1-09. Building a rig for my dad.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM

you need to start with a fine flake metalic silver. you can take the part your trying to match to a auto body jobber ( sells auto body and paint supplies to body shops ) and look at hundreds of color chips to match something up. or you can look into house of colors paints, they have several silvers that look very good for this..

spray your silver base till covered. then take a Grey scotch pad and LIGHTLY drag it over the base from one end to the other with out stopping. This will create the "Brushed look" then you tack it off to pick up any dust and clear it. these are the very basic steps. if you want more detail PM me

I would practice on a scrap piece to get the feel since you have never done it before. and you can also try other texture scotch pads . I have the best luck with the Grey.

another thing is if you have bare aluminum that you can cut to the exact size is you can lightly sand the smooth surface from one end to the other. "800 grit" works well. then clear right over the aluminum. a budy of mine has done this and im amazed that the clear actually sticks well to the bare aluminum . been a few years now without coming off.

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks man. I'll let you know how it turns out. Can this be done with a rattle can or is it only going to work with a paint gun.

97 F350 CC LB 4x4 7.3L
SuperDuty Quad-Pod

Parts sitting waiting to install: Moonvisor, 1.0 Exh. Housing, White Faced Dash Gauges, Air Horns (still need compressor)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:05 AM

well i suppose you can do it with a rattle can. Im a painter by trade so i only use "Car Paints" never tried it with a rattle can

i noticed that i didnt say something that is probably obvious but ill say it anyway . when you drag your scotch pad over the base , do it once it is fully dry to the touch, tack free.

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I have been looking for a good reason to buy an airbrush gun. Thanks, now I have a good reason.

Thanks for the help.

97 F350 CC LB 4x4 7.3L
SuperDuty Quad-Pod

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 AM

well you dont need an air brush gun for this , airbrushing is for doing detailed lines and shadowing and highlights . it would be useless for this job really.

also remember that after you do the sanding to ready the plastic parts for this painting process ( wich ever type of paint you choose ) remember to clean it with hot soapy water before you prep, and after you prep like i said if you want detailed instructions PM me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode