wet sanding? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ipkyss, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1655 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

wet sanding?

Has anyone tried wet sanding there factory paint? I can stand all the orange peel in the nice black paint. I was not sure how much clear coat the factory puts on the trucks though. Its an 03 if it matters. I am having the bed repainted and would like to get the rest of the truck looking top notch too. I was going to try it out on the bed before the truck for testing, Just didn't want to waste my time.

New Ride 08 F-250 CC SB FX-4 6.4 auto loaded job 1, Spartan 310,RCD 485,525, Erics Xstreet,KEM250 DPF delete,downpipe, intercooler pipe, 4" mbrp, timbrens

04 F-350 6.0,auto,SC,SB, 8ft Fisher X-Blade, Hideaway Strobes, XM Radio,Alpine Head unit, X-codes, Edge Mini spring pack, Edge adjustable track bar, 315/75/16 Toyo A/t,Prodigy brake controler,MBRP 3.5" downpipe,5"stacks, powermaxx turbo, Xrace tuned

Old truck-3/27/03 build F-350,CC,SB,DRW 6.0, Auto, Black on black, Blacked out bumpers/ grill, Moon roof, fifth wheel.

old sick, 1/7/03 build
2003 F-350,SC,SB,6.0, 4" lift 37 MT/R
http://community.webshots.com/user/traxx400-date
http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Ford%20F-250/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM

as a professional painter i would tell you to yield caution. you can do it but do not use anytihng more aggressive than 2000 grit. even with that you need to be careful. problem with factory paint is that its almost always thinner than it would be from a body shop. its a gamble really. if you lightly sand it with 2000 you should be ok. problem is your lightly sanding and my lightly sanding are probably two different things. Be very careful.

you may just want to try to wash it using a mild clay bar, then go over it with a quality glaze,(using a buffer ) then polish then wax. this will bring a lot of shine back to the paint which will make the "orange peel " look less.

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 AM

Garage
could a person do some sanding on the original clear and then have more clear shot on so as to have a real thick clear coat on there? And then color sand...

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Yes it can be done but to do it correctly you have to go through all the steps of a normal all over paint job such as tearing the vehicle down so you may as well go ahead and fix the debts and scratches and whatever else needs fixed. If you just re cleared it you will only make any defects left behind stand out even more. If you sand a scratch out then you just sanded through the clear, if you sand out a bird dropping blemish then you just sanded through the clear.if you don't sand out that bird dropping then it will just be a shiny blemish, if you don't sand out that scratch no matter how small it then becomes a shiny scratch if you clear over them. Understand where I'm going with this?

Last edited by mattsn; 02-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
The DUDE!!

I've done it before on several vehicles. Just gotta be clean it real good and use a fine grit paper. If you don't know exactly what your doing, it's probably best that you have a pro do it.

2005 F-250 CC FX4 - bought it, changed some stuff

Eighty Sixed member - #3
Ridin' Dirty - #26

"All the oil is in TEXAS, but the dipsticks are in DC"

"If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid a** question......"

Last edited by sprman; 02-27-2009 at 02:44 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 PM

No matter what kind of paint work is being done you have to be sure to clean it real good

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Detailing Devil Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkyss View Post
Has anyone tried wet sanding there factory paint? I can stand all the orange peel in the nice black paint. I was not sure how much clear coat the factory puts on the trucks though. Its an 03 if it matters. I am having the bed repainted and would like to get the rest of the truck looking top notch too. I was going to try it out on the bed before the truck for testing, Just didn't want to waste my time.
I'll start a new thread and post a series of videos on wet sanding. This is something that as a novice, you do not want to try on your pride and joy. Use the videos to help you learn to practice on a old clunker. After you get good and realize how much work wet sanding is, you may want to rethink doing it at all! I wouldn't do my entire car if someone paid me but then I'm kinda lazy in my old age.

I posted the new thread here.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 03-14-2009 at 02:42 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 PM

No matter how good you are at wet sanding.. Doing this to a factory clear is always a gamble because as i said before, Factory clears are notoriously thinner than what a body shop would apply.

you would most likely not beable to go deep enough to remove all the "orange peel" and if you did i would bet on other paint issues down the road due to UV damage that the clear is supposed to stop.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM

i would go with what mattsn says clay bar it and use some 3m finish glaze then some good wax , i used clay bars on many of my trucks and its the cats azz when it comes to makin the orange peel less noticable , did u know that there are only about 5 car manufacturies that buff there cars off the assemley line ,.

jaguar.
lambo.
ferarri.
bently
aston martin
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Detailing Devil Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 1 tonhauler View Post
i would go with what mattsn says clay bar it and use some 3m finish glaze then some good wax , i used clay bars on many of my trucks and its the cats azz when it comes to makin the orange peel less noticable , did u know that there are only about 5 car manufacturies that buff there cars off the assemley line ,.

jaguar.
lambo.
ferarri.
bently
aston martin
Actually, clay barring only cleans the paint. It removes the impurities, grit and dirt that may be present. It won't do anything for you orange peel. If the paint is clean, then the wax will appear to have a deeper shine. This may help hide some of the orange peel but if you look at it up close or as your paint is reflecting something with contrast, that orange peel will be there, staring you in the face.

I just deal with mine. I'll take care of it if I ever decide to paint the car.

"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode