How to Care for your Microfiber Towels - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Junkman2008, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1184 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Detailing Devil Dog

How to Care for your Microfiber Towels

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :bigthumb:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite.

"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Junkman2008 For this addition to TDG:
bigdraft (03-30-2009), Dodgefarmer (04-12-2009), fordt (04-01-2009), squeeky (04-09-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Garage
I never knew not to dry them in the dryer.

-Wayne
2007 Chevy LBZ 6.6L Classic

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Detailing Devil Dog
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt View Post
I never knew not to dry them in the dryer.
Yep, you can use air fluff but I just hang'em up. They dry pretty fast.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to squeeky Send a message via Yahoo to squeeky
I'm with fordt about the dryer. Have to be sure not to do that anymore.

Tyler
My Rig--2002 CCSB, D/A, Charcoal Grey. Leather, Debadged & 4x4 stickers gone, 5% tint on top of factory tint , Diablo Sport Predator, 4" straight pipe w/ 6" tip, HID 55w 6000k, Moto Metal Wheels, Air Lift rear airbags, SuperGlide 5th wheel, TTT Mirrors, AVIC N-2, Uniden CB., High Idle mod, Cheap Wal-Mart fog lights for back-up lights, Line-x, Amsoil By-pass System, Espar Heater, Cobalt boost & pyro gauges.
American Club #25, B.O.M.B. Squad #50, Farm Club #25

"Lane Frost and Freckles Brown made bull riding a sport people wanted to see, sponsors wanted to be a part of, and television wanted to show whether it was on the news or otherwise. There have always been great bull riders but when you look at those two, they weren't just bull riders, they were stars."
-Tuff Hedeman
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Garage
Not to be difficult, but I dry mine in the dryer all the time on low. They are still as soft as the day I got them.

2005 Ford F350 dually sb, wrapped in Black
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitelord For this addition to TDG:
mattsn (04-15-2009)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Detailing Devil Dog
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitelord View Post
Not to be difficult, but I dry mine in the dryer all the time on low. They are still as soft as the day I got them.
You are probably okay doing that. The problem is, not everyone has the same EXACT dryer. So where it may be okay for you to use yours, some other guy might be using the local laundry mart who dryers could be 20 degrees off.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM

I use the dryer on low heat/air only and put a couple of sweatshirts in with them. They always come out fine.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Detailing Devil Dog
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
I use the dryer on low heat/air only and put a couple of sweatshirts in with them. They always come out fine.
Adding sweatshirts to the microfiber laundry is actually the worst thing you can do. Mixing cotton fibers with microfiber causes cotton to deposit on the microfiber towels. Doing so has just created towels that will leave very fine scratches on your car. No other materials should ever be mixed into the microfiber wash or dry.

I will say this, if you see any suggestions that contradict the way I have explained how to do this, consider what you know about the source as what some folks will suggest in threads like this tends to be way off base at times.. You have seen my videos and super, up close pictures of what I call flawless paint. You know my standard. Again, consider what you know about the source.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode