The Diesel Garage banner

serious compound

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  mattsn 
#1 ·
just curious if Adams makes any" heavy Duty " compound? Im not talking about for removing surface defects, or for normal detail work. Im talking about for what we guys would use in a body shop for when we wet sand a paint job down perfectly flat. something that can remove 1500 grit wet sand scratches . Something that is for the use with a high speed buffer, not an orbital.

i just thought if they did i would buy a bottle to compare to what we are using now.

#3 · (Edited)
That isn't aggressive enough I have that in my own stock and it doesn't hold a candle to what we use. That isn't really desinged for what Im talking about

#5 · (Edited)
I think the pad has a lot to do with it. Different pads from Adam's are made for different purposes.

But mattsn should know that.

Mattsn, what are you using currently that you need to compare it to?

I feel fairly certain I could make a mess of the paint on any vehicle using the Fine Machine Polish and a cutting pad even on a dual action polisher with enough pressure and speed.

I think the thing with Adam's is that their system in different from what most body shop folks are used to. They gear their process toward the home detailer more than the professional body shop person who's always done it the same way with 3M or Meguiar's or whatever else.

I've used most of the big names out there over the years, and done more than my share of buffing and polishing and think that Adam's system works as well, if not better than anybody's I've tried.

prt

#6 ·
Junkmsn what grit sand paper did you use ? I didn't say that it would not work but the time it would take me to do the same job useing what we use it would take twice as long and not be worth it. Trust me ive tried it

Plainred, I agree . My guess is that Adams products are more geared to the detail aspect of the industry not the body shop side that I'm reffering to

#7 ·
Junkmsn what grit sand paper did you use ? I didn't say that it would not work but the time it would take me to do the same job useing what we use it would take twice as long and not be worth it...
I started with 1500, came behind that with 2000, then 2500 and finished with 3000. Then I hit it with orange pad and the FMP once on a setting of 5 (using a Flex orbital). I then came behind that with a white pad, damp with detail spray and some Swirl and Haze remover. At that point, I took the after picture you see above.

Plainred, I agree . My guess is that Adams products are more geared to the detail aspect of the industry not the body shop side that I'm reffering to
I would 100% agree with that. Most home users are not trying to get a job in and out like a body shop does, however, a lot of professional detailers use Adam's stuff within their business. I believe it is more than strong enough for professional use but would probably take a little more time to do the work. Using a orbital alone would increase your work time.

#8 · (Edited)
you see, there is the difference. I stated in my first post that im curious if they had something that can quickly remove 1500 grit. I work in a very busy high volume but very high quality body shop. Time is the key. on the average collision job i have no time ( as most painters dont ) to follow through with 1500, 2000, then 3000. I need to buzz it down with a Da sander using 1500 grit paper which removes the surface light speed faster than you doing it by hand, then use a compound designed to remove that grit using a buffer turning at about 1000RPM's also saves much more time. All done to make a job look better than factory but not quite show quality .

As for your statement that "using an orbital alone would increase my work time " You are correct. Using an orbital in the scenario that I described would be stupid. using a high speed buffer that moves so much faster, cuts my work time in half . that is why i use a buffer for this scenario which is why i asked about something that would be for use with a buffer. Our Detail/clean up kid finishes everything off with an orbital and the appropriate products.

you stated "I believe it is more than strong enough for professional use but would probably take a little more time to do the work" as i said before, I do not have extra time which is why i was looking for a product that can handle what im talking about

there are several companies that make products desinged for body shops to accomplish exactly what i am describing and I am not describing your average Joe detail stuff . If Adams does not make one then that is fine, I was simply just asking because i would like to compare products as i often like to do .

Now, on my side work which consits of mostly show quality paint jobs i use a process similar to what you suggested but show quality paint work is completely different than collision paint work.

#12 ·
ah, guess I got too much Yankee in me to understand that slang LOL

is there still an adams rep that comes here? just curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.