Herculiner Bumpers (PICS) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Super08Duty, this thread has received 41 replies and been viewed 16560 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Kid

Herculiner Bumpers (PICS)

This is my write up on applying herculiner to your factory OEM bumpers. I will include pics along the way and it will probably be a lengthy post. First I would like to Thank Tank, Bombdocdiesel, and FordRacing200 for your Advice and Tips.

I started with the Front Bumper. You will have to remove the 2 bolts inside the bumper connecting the bumper to the truck. Theres 1 bolt on each side of the bumper, and they will be 13mm bolts. Then you unbolt the 4 black bolts through the front. They will be 18mm bolts that will not spin completely off because they have some kind of washer deal on them that keeps them connected to the bumper. holding the bumper up with 1 arm (or another person) taking the weight off the bolts. unscrew Bolts completely. The bumper will slide down and sit on the tow hooks, so dont worry to much about it just falling once all bolts are off.

For the rear bumper, begin with unscrewing the two license plates off. Twist left and pull the bulb out. Then I cut the tape and white plastic screw things holding the wiring onto the bumper. Make sure all wiring is loose and start unscrewing the 4 21mm (possibly 22mm) Bolts holding on the bumper. Just like the front bumper, The whole thing wont just fall down. The hitch will keep it from dropping. The rear bumper is much heavier than the front.

This is a pic of where the 4 rear bolts will be. Two on each side.

Now for the prep. I started prepping the front bumper first by taking off all the Black Braces inside the bumper. Should be 4 steel brackets and two plastic ones. You'll need an 8mm socket and a 13mm socket to take all the bolts loose. Then take off the bottom air dam using the 8mm socket and a screw driver to pop off the tuff lock pieces. Followed by the top plastic piece, you will need a needle nose pliers To pinch the plastic pieces holding it on from the inside. The license plate holder will come off when the air dam comes off. Next you can start sanding down the chrome finish on the bumpers using 80 grit or lower sanding pads on a grinder. I use a small pneumatic sander to get the smaller parts the grinder could not reach. Sand the entire outside metal so theres no chrome finish left. Next i re-attached the top and bottom black peices to draw an outline with a sharpie so that i would not go apply bed liner under the peices. And so they would fit just like they came off. Next mask off the opposite side of plastic in order to paint black. as showed in next picture.

Spray paint the un masked side black. I used 3 coats of Rustoleum Professional gloss black on this. Once dry peal off masking. Heres pics of the top and bottom painted and un masked.

I decided I didnt like the inside of the bumper so I took a wire wheel and a drill and a can of Schaeffers Citro and took of what ever was on the inside of the bumper. heres a comparison video of just wire wheel and then Citro with wire wheel.

Clean Inside completely and spray paint black. This time I used a can of Duplicolor Black acrylic enamel, and it was much more even and easier to spray. For the rear i did the same steps except i didnt spray the inside of the bumper. Once dry mask off the painted area so bed liner doesnt run onto the paint.

No that its sanded and painted your ready for the herculiner. Go ahead and clean it up with Alcohol or Acetone. And make sure you have lots of card board or plastic down under the bumper so you dont get bed liner all over your concrete. Also, wear latex gloves and shoes so you dont get it on you. It can be hard to get off, and if you let it dry then your not getting it off for a while. If you do get some on you use Citro just like on on the inside of the bumper. Then use supplied roller and apply even coats on entire bumper. Dont try to cover all the small spots that you may have missed with the first coat. you will only make the coat uneven. I applied 3 coats to each bumper. I also used the paint brush that came in the kit to reach the small spots. The last coat should not show any bare metal at all. Wait at least 3 hours for each coat to dry. Once completely dry peal off the masking. And put the plastic pieces you removed first on. Wait a good 12 hours before you put the bumpers back on your truck so they have time to cure.

Install back on truck. I used a jack to help lift the front bumper, but the jack was not tall enough for my rear bumper sense I have a lift. So I had to wrestle it on. I did all this myself with no help, but having another person around would help greatly with putting the bumpers back on.

I have more pics that I'll post if someone needs more. Im open to any questions and if you are confused then feel free to PM me.

Colton

2008 F-250 PSD 4X4 XLT
Spartan-MBRP-Elite-AFE-KEM

542hp 1060trq 9/18/10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super08Duty For this addition to TDG:
fordt (07-16-2009), mckey73 (07-10-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned

Looks real nice. Thanks for the write up...
The Following User Says Thank You to wastedwagesracing For this addition to TDG:
Super08Duty (07-10-2009)
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 AM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
How much hurculiner did you end up using? Great write up Thanks.

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

The Following User Says Thank You to Bcarriveau For this addition to TDG:
Super08Duty (07-10-2009)
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Kid
Threadstarter

Not even half the 1 gallon bucket that came in the kit. The Kit comes with 1 gallon of herculiner, 1 paint brush, roller, 2 roller pads, a scuff pad, and some instructions.

Colton

2008 F-250 PSD 4X4 XLT

542hp 1060trq 9/18/10
The Following User Says Thank You to Super08Duty For this addition to TDG:
Bcarriveau (07-10-2009)
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 AM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BombDocDiesel
It came out pretty nicely Colton. Good job.

-Josh-
"SLICK" 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4 Z71 CC/SB D/A Silver Birch Metallic

My Gassers
1956 Clipper Deluxe project, and 1999 Subaru Legacy "beateroo"

Are you thinking about a Duramax? You need Duramax Info! The Duramax Index

TDG MAFIA!! MAFIA Application
American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!
The Following User Says Thank You to BombDocDiesel For this addition to TDG:
Super08Duty (07-10-2009)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Lurking

Look's good....
Are you going to do your lower rocker's next?

-Sean-

04, crewcab 6.0 superduty fx4 sport, DR10.5 lift,22" rims,40" TOYO'S,black on black,AFE II si intake,MBRP 4" exhaust, no cat,no muff,ORU traction bars,ORU hydro assist,4.56 gears,ARB rear locker,power locker up front for snow driving,MAG HY-TEC diff and trans covers,velvet ride shackles,SCT by innovative ,GROVER train horns with 1/2" line's ,7 gallon onboard air set up with quick connect,AUTOMETER gauge's,McCulloch HID's 6000K,ARP studs,coolant filter....
EGR delete and Trusted performance oil/fuel delete,crossover fuel lines with fixed orifice,spearco intercooler,banks cac tubes,cfm big mouth and Airdog II,with custom ss braided kevlar hose from tank to heads....
FICM 58 volts from SWAMPS,moderate flash by ID....

built by diezel, (except gears by chris at ORU)

Riding High Club #33
Singles Club #239
Ridin' Dirty Club #48
American Club #37
Bomb Squad #36

The Following User Says Thank You to diezel For this addition to TDG:
Super08Duty (07-10-2009)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Kid
Threadstarter

Id like to, but dad thinks thats a bad idea. Hes to worried about it chipping and having to sand down the paint.

Colton

2008 F-250 PSD 4X4 XLT

542hp 1060trq 9/18/10
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super08Duty View Post
Id like to, but dad thinks thats a bad idea. Hes to worried about it chipping and having to sand down the paint.

Sissy,...I let my 6 year old sand the side of my truck...

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
The Following User Says Thank You to TANK'S 250 For this addition to TDG:
BombDocDiesel (07-10-2009)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK'S 250 View Post
Sissy,...I let my 6 year old sand the side of my truck...

...but you didn't give him power tools to sand with...

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BombDocDiesel
Nice Tank! Somewhere there's a pic of me at 8 or 9 with a grinder going to work on my parents' 1950 Mercury. I have adults I work with I wouldn't let my rigs with power tools. I try not to let them operate anything NERF tools without proper supervision.

-Josh-
"SLICK" 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4 Z71 CC/SB D/A Silver Birch Metallic

My Gassers
1956 Clipper Deluxe project, and 1999 Subaru Legacy "beateroo"

Are you thinking about a Duramax? You need Duramax Info! The Duramax Index

TDG MAFIA!! MAFIA Application
American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!

Tags
bed liner, black, bumper, diy, herculiner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in