Spiderwebbing fiberglass - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Paccar Cat Nothing Else, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1183 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Spiderwebbing fiberglass

Ok, so I am restoring a 74 Kenworth A-model, which has a fiberglass hood and roof caps with all of the spiderwebbing you expect to go along with it. the owner wants me to paint it for him. I have painted several cars and semi's but i'm not sure what the best solution is for the spiderwebbing. I have heard of a sort of gel coat that you can spray on to resurface it, but I don't know anything about who makes it or how it holds up. I would really appreciate any info or tips that can help me. This truck is a huge project and I don't want to disappoint. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 PM

is the spider webbing only in the paint or is it in the Glass? the only "spray on gel coat" that I know of is actually a Sprayable Polyester. they work awesome but im not sure how it would do if the Webbing is in the Glass.

if you choose to try it, I like to use a product by "Ever Coat " called " slick Sand " i love it for high build and when i need something that will absolutely not Shrink. its pretty cheap but whatever you do... Do not Thin it out. use a gun with at least a 1.8 tip and really open it up and crank your pressure up .

There are a few other versions/ brands of sprayable polyesters. Dupont makes one for Their Nason line and I think PPG does aslo. Stay away from one called Feather Fill . and do not thin them. some of them claim that you can thin them with a Urethane reducer but i have found that they do not work as well.

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends

Last edited by mattsn; 01-15-2010 at 11:25 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 PM

is the spider webbing only in the paint or is it in the Glass? the only "spray on gel coat" that I know of is actually a Sprayable Polyester. they work awesome but im not sure how it would do if the Webbing is in the Glass.

if you choose to try it, I like to use a product by "Ever Coat " called " slick Sand " i love it for high build and when i need something that will absolutely not Shrink. its pretty cheap but whatever you do... Do not Thin it out. use a gun with at least a 1.8 tip and really open it up and crank your pressure up .

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'm not positive as to whether or not it is into the fiberglass. I'll have to check. I'm kinda afraid that it is. Any suggestions if it is? In the past, I've ground the fiberglass down til I'm past the crack and then use filler to build it back up. However, this is a whole lot bigger area than I normally have to deal with. But I'm more of a mechanic than a body man and I didn't know if there was any better solutions out there. Thanks again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM

yeah, if its in the glass the only way to fix it for good is to grind it out. I wouldnt use filler to fix something like that .

best thing might be too look into a new/used part. i know thats probably alot more than this guy wants to spend but compared to the cost of paying your labor in fixing it correctly (if its into the glass ) a new hood might work out to be not so expensive .

I myself dont have tons of experience with fiber glass work . i wonder if you could contact a boat repairer or a body shop that deals with the big trucks. See if they have any magic potion i dont know about

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode