Painting Fiberglass - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokerDude, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1252 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Painting Fiberglass

I will probably soon be painting a boat (19' ski-boat) for a friend. It is fiberglass, and I think it is gelcoated but not totally sure. I would like to know what some experts would reccomend that I do to make this come out good and hold. Not going for a top-of-the-line paintjob, but not a junk paintjob either.

Most of my paint experience is painting steel, so this project will have some aspects that are new to me. I have a Devilbiss HVLP airgun.

Sanding to 220??
Some sort of special paint??
Some sort of catalyst for adhesion??
A clearcoat??

Looking for a compromise between a low budget and medium budget job.

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM

what kind of shape is this boat in? meaning is it basically a sand and shoot? assuming the Gel coat is in good shape your paint process will basically be the same as steel. I would sand the Gel coat ( assuming all repairs have been made and already been primed with epoxy primer ) in 320 Grit, seal it and then paint it.

I would use Epoxy primer instead of urethane. its more water proof

the type of paint doesnt really matter. you could use All Grip, a brand made especially for boats, or use Imron , a dupont product that holds up very well to vehicles under alot of abuse , or base coat clear coat it , or just single stage. any paint will adhere just fine assuming the prep is done well just like on steel. The difference is going to be how much money do you want to spend on the product and how long you expect it to last.

I am not a boat guy or paint many of them but i would bet that a regular enamel single stage paint would hold up the least out of the other options, especially if it is in salt water.

i would also suggest do not use a solvent base cleaner on fiberglass. rubbing a solvent soaked cloth back and forth over fiberglass will create static electricity which can cause a spark wich is not good since solvent is flammable

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
The Following User Says Thank You to mattsn For this addition to TDG:
StrokerDude (04-20-2010)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 AM

Degrease/dewax with a waterbase product, cure what you want for appearance and use either epoxy or poyurethane 1 part primer. Slick it with 400 grit for synthetic enamel or 320 for 1 part poly. The paint will last about twice as long with hardner but the stuff is DANGEROUS, I lost a friend and an aquaintence about 6 years after they started using Imron ( poly ) and another friend 15 years later. They did not take care not to touch the hardner nor use fresh air masks, Two of them painted in tee shirts and all 3 died of pancreatic cancer.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM

all paint today has hardner/ catalyst, Imron has been re formulated and isnt as hard on people any more. Ive been using catalyzed/ hardend paint for 15 years .

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode