fuel pump for stock injectors - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BamaPSD, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 3108 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Bama Football Fan

fuel pump for stock injectors

Let me start by saying that I am NOT looking for top end performance for racing or sled-pulling. I'm simply looking for the correct fuel pump to use for daily driving and some modest performance increase. I've seen enough people stating which pump they use and which kit they installed. That's not what I'm asking.

I want to understand how you guys know that whatever pump you installed is capable of delivering the fuel required by your injectors. If I found a pump that advertises 2gpm at 65psi, how do I know that will satisfy my injectors?

There has to be a way to determine the volume of fuel requested by the injectors, right? Our stock injectors are 135cc, which I understand means 135cc (volume) delivered in 1000 pulses. I think I read that 135cc is never really delivered by our stock sticks because our nozzles are not designed for this, so we're maxed out around 100cc per 1000 pulses...any truth to this?

Here's where I'm going:
Assuming my stock injectors are delivering 100cc per 1000 pulses, how do I use that information to understand how that relates to gpm ratings for fuel pump manufacturers? Yeah, yeah, Airdog and FASS and several others (including the stock HFCM) might be capable of delivering the requested fuel, but how do we know??

Any insight would be really helpful. I'm just tired of hearing what other guys are running, and I want to understand the why/how.
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 04:00 PM

i just based my decision on how much HP i have/want to what pump/pumps will put out enough fuel for that particular HP rating and fuel system i wanted.

2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4: SCT, AFE stage II, autometer gauges(pyro, boost, tranny, fuel), edge insight, CFM large mouth intake elbow, spearco, snow performance water injection, 5" stacks, ARP's, fluidampr, hypermax fire rings, LIPD regulated return, FASS, fuelab, casserly 190's, 64/71/70 turbo(polished compressor housing)modded FICM(ID), Hellmann's sump, electirc fans

Last edited by strokin6L; 12-23-2010 at 04:04 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Bama Football Fan
Threadstarter

OK, but how do you know how much fuel equals the HP you want? There has to be a way to do this, right??
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPSD View Post
OK, but how do you know how much fuel equals the HP you want? There has to be a way to do this, right??
The injector builders make different sized injectors at different HP levels. I called a place and said i want an injector that'll make 500hp. Well, then i needed a fuel pump also. Basicly what i did is i contacted FASS and told them i wanted a fuel pump that will be capable of supplying enough fuel to my 190cc injectors for at least 500rwhp. They told me what pump i needed to do so. Fuel pressure is key. You don't need the biggest pump out there. Just one that keeps fuel pressure above 45-50psi and the injectors(no matter how big or small) will be fine. Fuel pressure is the biggest factor. i have a set of 190cc injectors and was running them with the factory pump and a low pressure FASS pump system(series 150/95 which is a 95gph rating) and had no issues of fuel pressure dropping below 60psi. My fuel system has changes since then. If you want a truck capable of 500hp, 600hp or 1000hp....then you get a pump that is capable of delivering enough fuel to injectors that are capable of making that HP.

2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4: SCT, AFE stage II, autometer gauges(pyro, boost, tranny, fuel), edge insight, CFM large mouth intake elbow, spearco, snow performance water injection, 5" stacks, ARP's, fluidampr, hypermax fire rings, LIPD regulated return, FASS, fuelab, casserly 190's, 64/71/70 turbo(polished compressor housing)modded FICM(ID), Hellmann's sump, electirc fans
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Bama Football Fan
Threadstarter

I think I understand you better now. By saying you want a pump that can supply fuel to meet 500 rwhp, what you're really saying is that you have injectors that can make 500 rwhp, and you need a pump that can supply them. This makes sense, and I appreciate your help Stokin6L.

But I'm still want to dig deeper. What says the stock pump can't supply the fuel to 190 sticks? I'd really appreciate the vendors chiming in to explain how they determine which of their pumps will meet different demands.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPSD View Post
I think I understand you better now. By saying you want a pump that can supply fuel to meet 500 rwhp, what you're really saying is that you have injectors that can make 500 rwhp, and you need a pump that can supply them. This makes sense, and I appreciate your help Stokin6L.

But I'm still want to dig deeper. What says the stock pump can't supply the fuel to 190 sticks? I'd really appreciate the vendors chiming in to explain how they determine which of their pumps will meet different demands.
Yeah that's what i was trying to say. Kinda hard to explain it easy. The stock fuel pump can supply fuel to 190cc sticks, but not enough of it. I've ran 190cc sticks with the factory pump before. fuel pressure drops big time....It'll drop way below 35psi, NOT GOOD for the life of the injectors. This is why you would then need to add a bigger fuel pump so that fuel pressure doesn't ever drop below 45psi even at WOT when running big injectors. Even with stock injectors and a big race tune...fuel pressure will still drop to 40psi or less. I installed a fuel pressure gauge on my buddy's '05 6L and fuel pressure was 48psi, but with race tune...it dropped to just under 40psi at WOT...not real good. So i then did the BB mod to the factory fuel pressure regulator and increased the fuel pressure to 58psi, but it still dropped...not that low tho. So i decided to install a high pressure FASS pump system(series 95/90 which is a 90gph pump) and removed the BB from the factory regulator. Fuel pressure was then a constant 62psi with the high pressure FASS system even at WOT and never dropped. And this all was with stock injectors. Like i said...fuel pressure it important for the life of the injectors. You need a fuel pump that will sustain at least a constant 45-50psi even at WOT

Last edited by strokin6L; 12-24-2010 at 02:07 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:25 PM

A fuel pressure guage is very important first. I have stock injectors,stock fuel pump, updated regulator spring, and run Innovative x- street tunes and the lowest I can get my fuel pressure is 63 PSI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in