Tuner Comparison - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 3brorce, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 9822 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Tuner Comparison

Would like to get some comparison's between some street tunes from Gearheads Auto/SRL, ID's/ Xstreet, Elites/Insanity, RCD/Street, and Vivians/ Looney. The firmer the shifting the better and how the power to each compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 AM

After trying quite a few tunes I've formed a few conclusions.

1) All of the tuners can put a great tune on your truck.
Make sure they are willing to make tweaks to the tunes you buy to make sure they get locked in to your truck.
2) Not all trucks act the same.
I had a tune which should have made my truck a rocket. It came off of a truck that had the same computer, code, etc that was tuned at a track. My truck ran slightly quicker than stock with this config.
3) You need to define your comparison.
Comparing a Looney/Insanity to a Street isn't necessarily fair. The Looney/Insanity is typically a race tune, calibrated to get your truck down the 1/4 as fast as possible. The Street tunes are typically targeted at embarrassing your street competition. I have a street tune that hauls to about 50 and then drops off quick. It is noticeably faster than my looney in this range. That being said, my Looney pulls hard past 100mph and gets there quicker. Of course, my tunes are older so maybe the dealers have figured ways to get around this issue.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong. Find which dealer you feel most comfortable with and go for it. Once you have a tune work with them to make it right for your truck. It took me a few revs but once the sweet spot was discovered we were in business.

Cheers!
Brad

'04 Excursion PSD, a.k.a Da Bus
- SCT by D.J., Powershot 2000, '05 Power Elbow, Isspro gauges under dash,
- Slam Specialties RE8's in the front... 5 inch drop to 4 inch lift at my command
- Herculiner on the runnin' boards and The Go-Fast Scratch! (THE latest must-have free mod!!!)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I was looking for a comparison from the looney to the RCD street because that is currently what i was running. I was looking to see in what direction i should go as in to stay with the RCD street? or get as new tune from Matt at gearhead or Vivian. I also have had a tune from ID amd that was an aggressive street tune. I should probably stay away from the really hot race tunes because I have stock head bolts.

2003 6.0 Powerstroke RCLB

Full EGR delete with up-pipe, S&B CAI, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe, S&B intake manifold, RCD 70 hp injectors, Banjo Bolt Mod, Zoodad, RCD and Innovative tuned, quad pod trans temp, boost, pyro, fuel press., Tinted Windows, Clearance Lights, 33/12.50's

08 F250 6.4 ECSB 5 in. straight turbo back, S&B CAI, IDP Tuned

07 5.9 5 in. Turbo back, S&B CAI, CFM Elbow, Goerend Trans, Fass 150, EFI Live

Advanced Injection
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM

If you are looking for a good tune (not the fastest), hands down it's ID's standard STREET tune. Not XStreet.

Starts perfect, shifts perfect (no shift flares), shifts points are spread out nicely and keep EGTs down. Has good lowend & topend power. For someone one wants a good and safe solid tune this one is it for a DD IMO. Again, all trucks react different to tunes, but I have ran tunes from many vendors, and I love this one for my DD. Again, I'm not like everyone else (think I'm getting old!), and don't need the most fastest tune available. I just want a good safe tune that gives me more power.

Race Tune: Looney or ID Xteme Race (better have studs and gauges)
Agg Street: ID's Xtreme Street or SRL (better have studs and gauges)
Street: ID Street Tune
Tow or Trans Only: ID

I guess after all I favor ID's tunes. But every truck is different, every person wants different things out of thier tunes/truck. I like the power delivery smooth, not like the on/off switch of some of the more powerful tunes.

I have ran the following vendors/tuners over the last 4 years:

Innovative, DJs/Quicktricks, DFuser, BTS Cales, DP Tuner, Gearhead, Edge, Superchips 1805

-Evan

2005 F350 Crew Cab LB FX4 Lariat
Loaded-Leather, Sunroof, Chrome Mirrors,Tow hooks
5'' Tuff Country Lift
Toyo 35'' MT's on Race Line Renegade 20's
ARP Studs, EGR Cooler Delete, Coolant Filter
AFE Magnum Force Stage II CAI
MBRP 4'' Exhaust Turbo back, No Cat
SCT X3 Tunes -Strat: VXCF9
Powemax Turbo
PHP FICM tuner
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Have you ran the SRL and Xstreet? How do they compare? Which one shifted firmer between the two and which ones shift points were better spread? I would like to get a tune that locked the TC in overdrive so that when I am going 40 or so it would lock in and prevent it from hinting for gears. Also have a ran a street looney from Vivian and how did that compare to ID's and Gearhead's?

Full EGR delete with up-pipe, S&B CAI, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe, S&B intake manifold, RCD 70 hp injectors, Banjo Bolt Mod, Zoodad, RCD and Innovative tuned, quad pod trans temp, boost, pyro, fuel press., Tinted Windows, Clearance Lights, 33/12.50's

Advanced Injection
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusa View Post
If you are looking for a good tune (not the fastest), hands down it's ID's standard STREET tune. Not XStreet.

Starts perfect, shifts perfect (no shift flares), shifts points are spread out nicely and keep EGTs down. Has good lowend & topend power. For someone one wants a good and safe solid tune this one is it for a DD IMO. Again, all trucks react different to tunes, but I have ran tunes from many vendors, and I love this one for my DD. Again, I'm not like everyone else (think I'm getting old!), and don't need the most fastest tune available. I just want a good safe tune that gives me more power.

Race Tune: Looney or ID Xteme Race (better have studs and gauges)
Agg Street: ID's Xtreme Street or SRL (better have studs and gauges)
Street: ID Street Tune
Tow or Trans Only: ID

I guess after all I favor ID's tunes. But every truck is different, every person wants different things out of thier tunes/truck. I like the power delivery smooth, not like the on/off switch of some of the more powerful tunes.

I have ran the following vendors/tuners over the last 4 years:

Innovative, DJs/Quicktricks, DFuser, BTS Cales, DP Tuner, Gearhead, Edge, Superchips 1805
Does your XStreet have harder cold starts than your Street file?

Blake

2003 Ford F-250 6.0l Powerstroke CC SB Lariat FX4
Engine-ARP Studs, RCD EGR Delete, 4" MBRP Exhaust, SCT Tuned by Innovative
Exterior-2.5" Leveling Kit, 18" XD Badlands, 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Interior-Edge Insight w/EGT

WTB: 6.0L Injector Cores
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Does your XStreet have harder cold starts than your Street file?
Yes it does! Matter of fact, I have a request in to Eric to get both my Street tune and Tow tune tweaked for cold starting. The last two mornings it's been 26 degrees and it romped for a few seconds then smoothed out while tuned with Street.

I don't normally run the Extreme street until the summer months. Usually I don't run it and just run the street tune. But I have tried the Extreme Street in the cold and it does starts pretty bad when it's really cold. Think there is just to much timing, fuel, ICP pressure in the start up tables on that tune. Best thing to do is have Eric tweak your starting tables.

Funny thing is I have never had cold starting issues with other vendors tunes, and stock and canned tunes start perfectly. So I know the problem is in the tune.

-Evan

2005 F350 Crew Cab LB FX4 Lariat
Loaded-Leather, Sunroof, Chrome Mirrors,Tow hooks
5'' Tuff Country Lift
Toyo 35'' MT's on Race Line Renegade 20's
ARP Studs, EGR Cooler Delete, Coolant Filter
AFE Magnum Force Stage II CAI
MBRP 4'' Exhaust Turbo back, No Cat
SCT X3 Tunes -Strat: VXCF9
Powemax Turbo
PHP FICM tuner
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusa View Post
Yes it does! Matter of fact, I have a request in to Eric to get both my Street tune and Tow tune tweaked for cold starting. The last two mornings it's been 26 degrees and it romped for a few seconds then smoothed out while tuned with Street.

I don't normally run the Extreme street until the summer months. Usually I don't run it and just run the street tune. But I have tried the Extreme Street in the cold and it does starts pretty bad when it's really cold. Think there is just to much timing, fuel, ICP pressure in the start up tables on that tune. Best thing to do is have Eric tweak your starting tables.

Funny thing is I have never had cold starting issues with other vendors tunes, and stock and canned tunes start perfectly. So I know the problem is in the tune.
Same here, mine just has too much fuel for a cold start. I'm still running it, as I hate driving stock, but I've been looking into getting Matt's SRL++.

Blake

2003 Ford F-250 6.0l Powerstroke CC SB Lariat FX4
Engine-ARP Studs, RCD EGR Delete, 4" MBRP Exhaust, SCT Tuned by Innovative
Exterior-2.5" Leveling Kit, 18" XD Badlands, 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Interior-Edge Insight w/EGT

WTB: 6.0L Injector Cores
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I am also looking into getting Matt's SRL or one of Vivian's tunes. Was wondering which one had better shifting between the two. Looking for quicker, shorter, firmer shifts. I know ID has good tuning, just looking for something different to try.

Advanced Injection
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
PitBullPowerStroker

Since we're comparing tuners here, who offers the best econo-detunes for MPG increase?
My winters are slow work wise and i dont tow as much so i thought a detune file might save me some some coin over the winter.

04 6 Leaker, Oilguard+Coolant guard, BD X-monitor, SCMT 1704, banks monster exhaust & DP, Bilsteins & Hawk Brakes, Fuel Xover line. Airbags in the back, Pitbull in the front!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode