Bully dog power pup not working - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Jake47, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 11372 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Bully dog power pup not working

I have a bully dog power pup i am trying to load on my 05. It was updated and worked fine on my buddies 05. When I plug in and click download on mine, it says reading engine, i have let it sit for 2 hours now, and never changes. Any ideas? It is version 1.4.6, part number 41560.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 AM

Not sure about Bullydog programmer, as most of us on here have gone to SCT with custom tuning. But it's possible that it is vin locked to your buddies truck, especially if it was previously installed in that truck. Did you just buy it from him? I would contact Bullydog and pick their brains, I'm sure they have the answer.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 AM

Harry6.0,

Where did you buy your SCT and who did your tunes?

Do you know whether it's better to buy the SCT X3, SCT SF3 or SCT Live Wire and why or why not?

06' F250 Mods:

Performance related:
-K&N E-0780 Air Box, ZooDad Mod
-Garrett Powermax Turbo, CFM+ Smallmouth Intake Manifold
-Blue Fuel Pressure Spring, Large fuel lines from pressure regulator to heads
-MBRP 4" Turbo back exhaust; cat installed
-SCT SF3 Tuner w/SRL custom tunes from Matt at GearheadAutomotivePerformance.com

Reliability Mods:
-Refurbished 50 volt FICM, Eliminated STC fitting, upgraded stand pipes and dummy plugs, Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler, upgraded turbo oil supply and drain
-Oil change rotation; 5k-5W40/5k-15W40/5k-15W40
--Rotella T5 or Valvoline Blue Extreme 5W40, Rotella or NAPA 15W40, Archoil 9100 friction modifier (16 ounces to crank case; 10 ounces to each differential)
--2/3 Qt. tcw3 2 cycle oil per tank Power Service (5 oz. Stanadyne every tank)
-Cooling system flush with Restore and VC-9 @ 73,000 miles w/new thermostat
-Eliminated clunk while sitting at a light (75,000 miles); Lubed rear drive-shaft spline with Ford lubricant; Symptom returned at 100,000 miles...re-lubed at 112,000 miles....wow!! it's so smooth again.

Miscellaneous:
-1/2" shim on carrier bearing mount
-Batteries:
--Original Motorcraft lasted 4 1/2 years
--AutoZone Duralast Gold lasted less than 3 years
---(with 2/0 cables between + terminals)
--Still on 2nd set of Autozone Gold (replaced free)
-Alternator:
--DC Power 185 amp
Future Mods:
-Teflon sway bar bushings
-Moog Ball Joints (originals seem to be holding tight at 108,000 miles; it's just a daily driver, so this seems to make sense)
-Cooling system filter
-OEM HG/ARP studs
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckles View Post
Harry6.0,

Where did you buy your SCT and who did your tunes?

Do you know whether it's better to buy the SCT X3, SCT SF3 or SCT Live Wire and why or why not?
My recommendation is, don't do it like I did. If your going to buy new, buy it from a reputable vendor/tuner like KEM Performance. Get a basic X3 and order custom tuning. You will not only save money doing it this way, you will also get a reliable tuner and one that is specific to your truck. I have the SF3, which works on a whole bunch of different Ford models. It is prone to corruption problems from all the different files it has stored in it. I bought mine new on ebay for cheap, and then tried custom tuning from several places, with KEM being by far the best, and no issues with their tuning. I can only advise on my experience with the SF3. But after countless hours on the SCT tech help line and having to send it in for repair once, and maybe I just got a bad one, if I had to do it over, thats how I would approach getting a new tuner. By the way, SCT was always very helpful and stuck it out till it was right, they never let me down.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Jake, its the programmer! It will not link to PCM, you must have had some shop work done in the last year or so. They reflashed your PCM and the last flash upgrade misidentifies itself intentionaly so the older programmers can't link up. My brother's the same way, call Bully dog and explain situation, they may work with you to " Upgrade- ($$$)" you to the "newer" Triple Dog GT that will link up? He just bought a new SCT w/ custom tunes?

2006 F-250 / 4X4 / CC/ Dark Satin Green / PSD 6.0 / Auto / Accu-Fab Intake / Straight pipe / Coolant filter / ARP Studs w/ Ford HGs / STC upgrade / New Oil Cooler / EGR Delete / Blue Spring Upgrade / GlowShift/MaxTow Gauges / Level kit / 35-18 Terra-Grapplers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddog06 View Post
Jake, its the programmer! It will not link to PCM, you must have had some shop work done in the last year or so. They reflashed your PCM and the last flash upgrade misidentifies itself intentionaly so the older programmers can't link up. My brother's the same way, call Bully dog and explain situation, they may work with you to " Upgrade- ($$$)" you to the "newer" Triple Dog GT that will link up? He just bought a new SCT w/ custom tunes?
You might want talk to your brother, after using a Bully dog product, and you return your truck to stock, the bully dog leaves a footprint in the stock PCM tune that can cause issues with the SCT.

You can read this on post #12 at this link.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0...m-tunes-2.html

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode