EGR Delete help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by efriend98, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 2337 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

EGR Delete help

I've been reading and searching here trying to figure out Exactly everything I need to do for a EGR delete on my 2005. Found some really good info but not a thread with everything detailed all together.

So I was wandering if we can get together and create a thread with all the info. I plan to do this in the next month or two when I get time to fool with my truck.

All help and info will be much appreciated

Eric
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Garage
Alot of factors involved, how's your delta with the EOT/ECT? If you running too high you might want to replace your oil cooler while your in there. Being that you have an '05, was your STC fitting updated? how about the dummy plugs?

These are some of the things to consider if your gonna dig into the top of the motor. If your gonna take stuff apart, you might as well do it right the first time.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

It's still bone stock. I haven't touched it yet. My Warranty finally ran out in July and I feel like tinkering a little bit.

The only thing I've done is had it on the computer to check it's brain and not a single issue showing. The truck is a 2005 with 63,000 miles.

Most of those questions you asked make no sense to me yet

Eric
-
-
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 AM

Garage
Engine Oil Temp (EOT), Engine Coolant Temp (ECT). You will need gauges/monitor to check these temps when motor is fully warmed up to operating temp (190ish). Once up to temp, cruise on the by-way 55-60mph on flat ground for a couple of miles. Check your ECT/EOT, the difference should be no more than 15* apart, if 15* or more then it's a indication that your oil cooler is/getting clogged.

If you gonna do the EGR delete, and your ECT/EOT delta is at 15* or more, then while you have the turbo and intake off, you can get to the oil cooler and replace that while your there.

The 2005 6.0 motor is known for the Snap To Connect (STC) fitting to fail on the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP). Ford came out with a updated STC fitting to prevent/fix the old style STC fitting. So while you have the turbo/intake out for the EGR delete, you can update the STC fitting. When the old style STC fitting fails, it could leave you on the side of the road cursing.

If you want to take care if the 6.0 issues, it would be wise to get gauges/monitor. In my opinion, ECT, EOT, EGT, Boost psi, Fuel psi and trans temp if you tow is the minimum gauges you should have.

ECT/EOT gauges for oil cooler delta and normal engine temp monitoring
EGT gauge so you don't melt your turbo
Boost gauge so you don't over boost and blow headgaskets
Fuel psi gauge- when fuel psi drops below 45psi from idle to Wide Open Throttle (WOT), you take a chance of damaging those expensive injectors.
Trans temp gauge if you tow, you don't want to cook your trans.

If your on a budget for gauges/monitor, then there is the ScangaugeII ($160ish). It will monitor a butt load of parameters, but won't do fuel psi or EGT, youll need analog gauges for them.

If your pockets are deeper, there is the fancy Edge Insight CS/CTS. The CS/CTS will monitor a butt load of parameters, including fuel psi and EGT if you pay extra for the expandable cable and thremocouple/sending unit. Or go with analog gauges for EGT and fuel psi.

What I'm getting at is, if your gonna go thru the trouble of deleting the EGR cooler and have the top end apart, then you might as well do it right the first time and do it once.

X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Excellent Info! Thanks so much for the help. Guess I will get to digging around and decide what I'm going do. Getting time to mess with it all is going to be the main issue. This may have to wait til November when things calm down.

Eric
-
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Garage
The 6.0 gets a bad rap from blowing headgaskets, do to the Torque To Yeild (TTY) head bolts stretching from either over boosting or when the EGR cooler fails and allows coolant to enter the cylinders. Coolant won't compress, so the TTY bolts stretch causing the headgaskets to fail.

Overboosting occurs from the operator running unsafe tunes and beating the snot out of there truck. It also occurs when the vanes in the VGT stick.

Our cooling system has coolant going thru the oil cooler before it goes to the EGR cooler. When the coolant passages in the oil cooler get blocked up from casting sand and debris, the coolant can't flow to the EGR cooler. When there is no more or not enough coolant reaching the EGR cooler, the hot exhaust gases passing thru the EGR cooler heat and expand the coolant runners, over time the EGR cooler gets hot and cools down causing the coolant runners to expand and retract to the point of cracking open and making the EGR cooler to fail. When the EGR cooler has failed, coolant has a chance to enter the combustion chamber.

Get gauges/monitor ASAP, this will determine the health of your motor and give you time to determine what you will be doing come November. Read as much as you can to make a informed decision.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I believe I will go with the Edge 85200 CTS Diesel Evolution , that looks like the easiest way to take care of everything at once.

Eric
-
-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by efriend98 View Post
I believe I will go with the Edge 85200 CTS Diesel Evolution , that looks like the easiest way to take care of everything at once.
Not a bad choice, most knowledgeable 6.0 owner go with the SCT X-3 with custom tunes and use the Edge Insight CS/CTS for gauges. The main reason most go with the X-3 is when/if they start bolting on performance parts, a authorized SCT tune writer can write you a tune that will work with the bolt ons to get the best performance out of there hard earned money. The Edge Evolution is a "cookie cutter" programmer, one size it's all.

If your planning on just increasing your HP a little and don't plan on beating your truck up, then the EVO will be fine for your needs.

If you plan on upgrading hard parts like injectors, turbo, nitrous,ect, then go with the X-3/Insight combo.

Most owners who switch from a Edge programmer to a SCT wished they would have got the SCT to begin with.

If your heart set on the EVO, check out Power Hungry Performance's Gryphon. Bill over at PHP helped write the tunes for Edge, then went into business for himself to produce the Gryphon that will do everything the EVO can do along with adding his custom tunes. Here is the link. http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_gryphon_cts_diesel.shtml

With the Gryphon, your stuck with using his custom tunes. With the SCT, you have many choices of custom tune writers.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

My original plan was to go with the SCT but I like the idea of having everything contained in one unit. From everything I've read the SCT is the way to go but I just don't think I would ever take it past the 60 HP setting on the EVO.

I'm not going to bolting any of the Hi Perf stuff onto the truck. Basically all I tow is bass boats and my dump trailer. I rarely exceed 8,000-9,000 #s

I would mainly be interested in a fuel mileage programming. Does SCT have a good one for that ?

Eric
-
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode