first diesel 04 f350 need tips - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 04f350, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1522 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

first diesel 04 f350 need tips

i just bought my first diesel. its an 04 f350 with 70,000 miles.. i was looking to do a safe tunner and a straight pipe with gauge nothing crazy...i have been saving for awhile to get this truck so i dont want to beat on it for awhile..and if there are any specific things i should look out for...truck runs and shifts perfect...would appreciate the help ..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

also i know i need to monitor my egt and eot...i want to get a three pillar gauge pod...whats a good brand to go with? i want to see how the trucks running before i put a tuner on it and to monitor it before it needs head studs...any suggestions?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 AM

The Edge Insight CTS is a great tool and gauges it is plug and play plus it looks good the ScangaugeII may be the bast bang for the buck i just like what looks good. Just remember with tunes you will need deep pockets because the 6.0 is maxed out on HP now you will be looking at ARP studs and this also just a reminder what it will look like.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0.../photo_01.html
Need a coolant filter to remove the casting sand coolant flush ditch the Ford Gold Junk coolant install a CAT EC-1 Rated ELC coolant, fuel pressure gauge because under 45lbs at WOT will kill injectors. Keep good batteries in it because weak or bad batteries will kill the FICM aboout $1100 from Ford about $300 to fix yours.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge CTS Expandable Pyro,AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Coolant Filtration System Delo ELC
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A piller EGT,Boost,Trans
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

add filter to the coolant line and flush the original coolant in truck...i wanted to get pillar gauges...what brand and which ones...i have a warranty on the truck i was thinking sct whats your thoughts? thanks..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04f350 View Post
add filter to the coolant line and flush the original coolant in truck...i wanted to get pillar gauges...what brand and which ones...i have a warranty on the truck i was thinking sct whats your thoughts? thanks..
I think the A piller gauges are a wast of time there is not enough room for all the gauges you need on a 6.0 and the SCT a lot of dealer are down on tunes even switching coolant just something to think about i have warranty but i know my truck and the Gold junk had to go because i have low deltas 4* and after Restore and Restore+ flushing 48 gallons of distilled water 1/4 tank of fuel and 12.5hrs of my time i still have 4* deltas. The Edge insight is the only way to go plugs right into the OBDII port.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge CTS Expandable Pyro,AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Coolant Filtration System Delo ELC
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A piller EGT,Boost,Trans
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Garage
Like 2stroker said, pillar gauges are not gonna be enough, even with a stock truck.

The factory gauges are JUNK!! By the time they move into the red, its too late!!

IMO, your gonna need to monitor at the minimum is. ECT,EOT,FICM volts, Fuel psi, boost psi, and if you tow TFT and EGT. This is where the ScangaugeII or Edge insight CS/CTS comes in handy. By the time you spend money on all the analog gauges that a monitor can do, you would of spent alot more money.

Your first purchase should be one of these monitor solutions, check the health of your motor first to see what underlining issues are, then spend the money on fixing the issues before putting on a tune.

When your ECT and EOT delta has a spread of more than 15*, your oil cooler is getting blocked up and needs replacing. If you don't, then you stand a good chance of rupturing the EGR cooler and allowing coolant to enter the cylinders causing the heads to lift from stretched head bolts. Water doesn't compress!!

When FICM volts drop below 46v at anytime, you are putting a hurt on the injectors, this could result in expensive issues.

The fuel psi needs to be above 45psi at idle and up to WOT, when fuel psi drops below 45psi, your injectors are starving for fuel and will be damaged.

After you have fixed/upgraded the motor issues, then your ready for a programmer. With the 6.0, the SCT with custom tunes is the way to go for the life of your motor and trans. Stay far away from any tuner/programmer that has shift on the fly programming. This is very hard on the trans because is doesn't adjust the trans programming to handle the extra power the motor will be putting out.

Now is not the time to be cheap, do it right the first time.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode