Tuner Questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Texas_stroker23, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 4394 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Tuner Questions

hey guys im new to the forum and I have a 03 6.0 and am currently running an older edge juice with the evolution monitor. I have been looking at the sct itsx but am wondering if there has been any problems with it etc...Also i was looking into custom tunes but my truck is on 40s and i dont want to get too wild and starting breaking stuff...what is yalls opinions on this? also ive been talking to innovative but is there someone else better?
thanks for the inputs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 AM

Best thing is to buy the SCT tuner from the same source thats providing the custom tuning. I myself like KEM performances tuning, they are very good. Talk with Mike at KEM, he will be able to provide sensible options for you to choose from.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 AM

Garage
The iTSX is the newest product from SCT, not too many member on this forum and other forums using it. I know of three members (other forum) that are using it, one of them has a issue where the iTSX has not worked after he installed his tune. IMO, your better off getting either a SF3 or X-3 because these two models have been around quite awhile.

You can contact a authorized SCT tune writer and buy a new SF3 or X-3. The SF3 will hold 5 canned tunes and also hold 3 custom tunes, but the custom tunes will have to be bought separately. The X-3 will hold 3 custom tunes, some tune writers offer a package deal that include the 3 custom tunes in the price.

If your wanting to save some money, you can check your local Craig's list, eBay, or forums for a used unit. Then purchase custom tunes from a tune writer. Typically a used SF3/X-3 that is unlocked and has unlocks left will go for $225-$275. You can read about buying a used SCT in this link.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=112106

Now your gonna need a monitor/gauge solution. Have you checked out the DashBoss for the iOS devices. The DashBoss for the 6.0 is now live and working great. Here is the link.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=114680

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpooh For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (03-10-2012), Sader (03-16-2012)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
The iTSX is the newest product from SCT, not too many member on this forum and other forums using it. I know of three members (other forum) that are using it, one of them has a issue where the iTSX has not worked after he installed his tune. IMO, your better off getting either a SF3 or X-3 because these two models have been around quite awhile.

You can contact a authorized SCT tune writer and buy a new SF3 or X-3. The SF3 will hold 5 canned tunes and also hold 3 custom tunes, but the custom tunes will have to be bought separately. The X-3 will hold 3 custom tunes, some tune writers offer a package deal that include the 3 custom tunes in the price.

If your wanting to save some money, you can check your local Craig's list, eBay, or forums for a used unit. Then purchase custom tunes from a tune writer. Typically a used SF3/X-3 that is unlocked and has unlocks left will go for $225-$275. You can read about buying a used SCT in this link.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=112106

Now your gonna need a monitor/gauge solution. Have you checked out the DashBoss for the iOS devices. The DashBoss for the 6.0 is now live and working great. Here is the link.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=114680
Thats great info....So the only reason i wanted to run the itsx is because i can do it all on my phone BUT i deffinatly do not want something that is going to mess up or not work half the time or all the time. I was thinking from what i heard was having eric at innovatiove write me tunes because my truck is on 40s and he can compensate for that shift points, power, fuel mileage...etc vs. the canned tunes unless there is someone that writes them that is better. Ive heard people having preferences on the sf3/x-3...is there any pro's & con's on either?
As far as monitoring goes I have pillar guages monitoring boost,pyro,trans temp...is there something i should have that i dont have? im kinda new to this thats why theres alot of things im unsure on. I really appreciate your input also
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:21 AM

Garage
A new X-3 will only hold 3 custom tunes, which is fine because once you try a custom tune you'll almost never use a canned tune again.

The SF3 holds 5 canned tunes and also hold 3 custom tunes.

Any well known tune writer can write tunes to suit your needs. Members ask all the time, who's the best. Well it comes down to personal preference, driving style, and if your truck likes the tunes. Tunes written for one truck may act a little different on another truck (different strategy, gear ratio, tire size, ect, ect)

With the 6.0, it's important to monitor EOT,ECT, fuel psi, and FICMv. If your running tunes then EGT. Also if you tow heavy, TFT.

Monitoring ECT/EOT, if the delta is 15* or more, start looking at replacing your oil cooler because it blocked up in the coolant passage side of the oil cooler. This will cause a domino effect, because coolant is restricted from reaching the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler fails/ruptures and you end up getting coolant into the cylinders. Now coolant wont compress in the cylinders so the weakest link is the head bolts. The head bolts will stretch causing headgasket failure.

Fuel psi, when fuel psi drops below 45 psi from idle to WOT, your doing damage to the injectors.

FICMv, when FICMv drops below 46v while cranking or engine running, your also hurting the injectors.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
A new X-3 will only hold 3 custom tunes, which is fine because once you try a custom tune you'll almost never use a canned tune again.

The SF3 holds 5 canned tunes and also hold 3 custom tunes.

Any well known tune writer can write tunes to suit your needs. Members ask all the time, who's the best. Well it comes down to personal preference, driving style, and if your truck likes the tunes. Tunes written for one truck may act a little different on another truck (different strategy, gear ratio, tire size, ect, ect)

With the 6.0, it's important to monitor EOT,ECT, fuel psi, and FICMv. If your running tunes then EGT. Also if you tow heavy, TFT.

Monitoring ECT/EOT, if the delta is 15* or more, start looking at replacing your oil cooler because it blocked up in the coolant passage side of the oil cooler. This will cause a domino effect, because coolant is restricted from reaching the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler fails/ruptures and you end up getting coolant into the cylinders. Now coolant wont compress in the cylinders so the weakest link is the head bolts. The head bolts will stretch causing headgasket failure.

Fuel psi, when fuel psi drops below 45 psi from idle to WOT, your doing damage to the injectors.

FICMv, when FICMv drops below 46v while cranking or engine running, your also hurting the injectors.
Ok well I just had the studs gaskets deletes etc done a couple months ago....so out of all of those things what would be the most important to monitor like fuel psi or the FICMv? Reason im asking is because i will change my pyro gauge to one of those two....Also what does EOT and ECT stand for?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 AM

EOT...engine oil temp

ECT...engine coolant temp

TFT...transm fluid temp

I would still monitor egt's. Myself, I mostly monitor EOT...ECT...ICP...Charging Voltage... on my ScanGauge2, which only allows 4-choices at a time on the tiny screen, but I can scroll through to look at many other choices such as ficm voltages, ipr readings, TFT and so on, and my 2-analog gauges read egt's and boost always. My opinion, the better you monitor these motors, the better you know your truck, which can help tremendously when it comes to issues that may arise or be prevented. This is especially true if you run modified and tuned.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
EOT...engine oil temp

ECT...engine coolant temp

TFT...transm fluid temp

I would still monitor egt's. Myself, I mostly monitor EOT...ECT...ICP...Charging Voltage... on my ScanGauge2, which only allows 4-choices at a time on the tiny screen, but I can scroll through to look at many other choices such as ficm voltages, ipr readings, TFT and so on, and my 2-analog gauges read egt's and boost always. My opinion, the better you monitor these motors, the better you know your truck, which can help tremendously when it comes to issues that may arise or be prevented. This is especially true if you run modified and tuned.

Harry
Well i guess ill leave it the way it is and look into the scangauge2's
I appreciate the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode