Review: Gryphon FICM programmer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lilpooh, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 11044 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Review: Gryphon FICM programmer

Technically I guess you can say that the 6.0 can stack tuners. Your able to use a tuner of your choice to program the PCM/TCM, and then use the Gryphon FICM tuner to program the FICM.

This in NOT the remote FICM programmer that you get as a "loaner" and return back to PHP. This is the Gryphon non-CS/CTS that you can buy that has 4 levels of FICM tuning that you can swap FICM tunes as much as you like. Cost is $399.

The Gryphon FICM tuner from PHP comes pre-loaded with 4 FICM tunes. You get to choose any of the four. Economy, Atlas 40, Atlas 80 and Hercules. Install was pretty straight forward.

Remove FICM relay, cycle key to on, plug in Gryphon to OBDII, follow the on screen instructions (push some buttons and some on/off key cycles), re-install FICM relay. For the first install, it took about 5 minutes from removal of relay to re-installing relay.

Currently I'm running the SCT with SRL++ written for the older/less desirable strategy (VXAP2). So the first FICM tune I loaded up was the Atlas 80. Throttle response was much better while pulling out from idle to easy accelerating, with no smoke.

Cruising down the road, and applying heavy throttle, you can feel a smoother motor, and seat of pants power bump. No smoke.

Cruising down the road and slamming the throttle to WOT, she pulls harder with the Atlas 80 combined with the SRL++. Power increase can be felt by the seat of the pants. Smoke is a different story, running the SRL++ without the Gryphon there is very little smoke, just a light puff then clears up. When running the SRL++ and Atlas 80 while slamming to WOT, the puff of smoke bellows out then cleans up to a light haze.

So next I decided to turn on the water/meth, currently I'm using washer fluid (70/30). I have the settings to come on at 13psi boost, then by 23psi boost its injecting 100%. Cruising down the road and laying on the throttle steady, power was smooth and noticeable, no smoke. Cruising down the road and slamming to WOT, the initial puff of smoke was alot, then cleared up to no smoke, not even a haze.

For those of you who run the SRL tunes, you know what I mean when I say that the SRL tunes are very clean (almost no smoke at all).

I'm very impressed with FICM tuning so far. The nice thing is, the SCT tunes combined with the FICM tunes will give me multiple power combinations. I wish I had the time to try all my SCT tunes combined with the Gryphon FICM programmer, but with a total of 36 SCT tunes (new/old tunes and canned) and the option of 4 FICM tunes it will take me a long time. As time goes on, I'll try different combination.

With camping season right around the corner, I'll be able to use one of my tow tunes combines with the Atlas 40.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpooh For this addition to TDG:
bootcamp (06-08-2012), harry6.0 (03-22-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 AM

Awesome Lilpooh! Great review with lots of good info. So, does the different settings change the voltages applied to above 48-49v, or does it just change injector durations and timing? or both?

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Does not change voltage, just the function of the injectors. Over on PHP website, they have dyno charts.

http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_ficm.shtml

X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpooh For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (03-22-2012)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:03 AM

Good stuff! Wondering how often would someone switch the FICM tune once dialed in? I know it would be great to have that option but is it worth the $? If I had extra dough I know I would have to have it though.

2008 F250 KR H&S MiniMaxx AFe PG7 5" Straight Pipe SOLD!!!

2007 F250 KR 4x4 CCSB Scan Gauge II, SCT SF3, Gearhead SRLXX, ARP's, PM&M EGR delete, PM&M coolant filter, Rancho 7000's, IDP FICM tuning, Wicked Wheel 2, No Limit CAI.

2006 GMC Savana 3500 6.6 Duramax LBZ work van
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
Good stuff! Wondering how often would someone switch the FICM tune once dialed in? I know it would be great to have that option but is it worth the $? If I had extra dough I know I would have to have it though.
Prior to this Gryphon FICM programmer, you had a choice of having your FICM programmed to only one FICM tune, with this one FICM tune you had a choice of a moderate power increase or a hot tune. If you towed, you really didn't want to use a hot tune because EGT's get hot. This gives you the option to program the FICM to suit your needs.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, and what you want/need your truck to do.

For me, my truck is a daily driver, play toy, and weekend tow vehicle. This gives me more power options, for the task at hand. When daily driving/play toy I now have the option to turn up the power and squeeze out as much power as I can. Then when I need to tow, I can tune the FICM back down or return the FICM back to stock and throw on a tow tune.

This may not be for everybody, but it does allow for more versatility.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Have you tried putting on the biggest FICM tune and biggest PCM tune at the same time. I wonder if it would make more power or is it more like dialing it in and finding a happy medium with the mods one might have on their truck.

2008 F250 KR H&S MiniMaxx AFe PG7 5" Straight Pipe SOLD!!!

2007 F250 KR 4x4 CCSB Scan Gauge II, SCT SF3, Gearhead SRLXX, ARP's, PM&M EGR delete, PM&M coolant filter, Rancho 7000's, IDP FICM tuning, Wicked Wheel 2, No Limit CAI.

2006 GMC Savana 3500 6.6 Duramax LBZ work van
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
Have you tried putting on the biggest FICM tune and biggest PCM tune at the same time. I wonder if it would make more power or is it more like dialing it in and finding a happy medium with the mods one might have on their truck.
Yes, I did load up the Hercules with the SRL++. Not much more than running the Atlas 80. The stock injectors are the limiting factor now. The Hercules is designed for those who have bigger injectors.

Here is a copy/paste from Bill.

"That's a really good question. Frankly, the biggest limiting factor to HP on the 6.0L is the injectors. On the average 6.0L, this is usually around 420-440 HP. When running a modified ECM, the gains achieved by running an aggressive FICM tune are going to be dramatically reduced. Where we saw gains with a modified ECM/FICM combination was in the higher RPM ranges, but these gains were admittedly small due to limitations in the injectors. However, we did notice a tremendous improvement in throttle response running the modified FICM. Where modified FICM strategies are going to be significantly advantageous is when used in conjunction with modified injectors. This will allow much more fine-tunability to help improve drivability and performance in those applications."

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Is this something you leave plugged in or do you remove the downloader like the SCT ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
Is this something you leave plugged in or do you remove the downloader like the SCT ?
Just like the SCT, load in the tune, then you can unplug the programmer.

You also have the option to leave it plugged in and use the Gryphon as monitor/gauges. The Gyphon has the same capabilities as the older Edge Insights, monitor/DTC reader/performance logs.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 PM

So many interesting goodies for these truck, would it be best to have an sct tuned for this device, my motor is stock with just blue spring, 4in. exhaust and afe stage 2. I dont tow with it yet and dont plan to tow much, but do have 37in, wheels with 3:73, I guess I would like to get max potentional out of the truck without damage, and will upgrade parts as needed, Thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode