Not sure what to ask for.... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by whanner, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 3176 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what to ask for....

So I plan on doing my EGR delete in a few months and I have ARP head studs and will need 2 tunes for the EGR delete but I don't know what to ask the tuner for. I am more interested in a reliable truck than having a hot rod. here is what I want, a stock or maybe a hair better performance daily driver tune and the same for a safe tow tune. I know I need 2 tunes so what do I ask for spec wise to achieve this? Lets just say the 5th wheel weighs around 15Klbs to be safe. Keep in mind it has to have some kind of tune to keep it out of limp mode with the EGR delete.

06' F350
I'm not a Diesel Mechanic or Expert. All posts are just guesstimations.
4" Turbo Back Exhaust, 2" lift in front,1" Lift In the Rear, EGT Gauge, ARP Studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I called these guys and liked what they had to say and their prices so I went with their tow tunes. They have an unlimited tune that keeps the truck almost stock and keeps it from limp mode with the EGR delete which is what I am looking for.
http://www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/index.php

06' F350
4" Turbo Back Exhaust, 2" lift in front,1" Lift In the Rear, EGT Gauge, ARP Studs.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

One thing I didn't know, They said to leave the EGR valve in place and connected when I do the EGR delete... with his tunes and EGR valve connected but off, the fan retains proper function in tow haul.... good to know because I use that function on steep grades.... I think its used to load the engine and help slow you down.

06' F350
The Following User Says Thank You to whanner For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (07-26-2012)
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Garage
I am in a similar situation but don't tow more than 10k. I am getting an SCT from mkmcustoms with 3 free tunes but I plan to ask them the same questions. I just want an economy for mileage for highway trips, moderate tow and something close to stock or slightly higher for normal trips to town. I did the egr delete and also a cat delete so I need the tune to deal with that. Not looking to tear anything up.

I will wait and see if there are any more suggestions.

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I almost went with MKM but heard that gear heads were smoother shifting... I have no way of proving this and don't want to take away from what MKM does..... just another reason I went with gear heads... did you leave your valve in place when you did the delete?

06' F350
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whanner View Post
I almost went with MKM but heard that gear heads were smoother shifting... I have no way of proving this and don't want to take away from what MKM does..... just another reason I went with gear heads... did you leave your valve in place when you did the delete?
My EGR valve is still in place. I paid to have the EGR delete and Oil cooler done but wished I would have done it myself after I found some of the shortcuts they took (Turbo was loose and CAC boots kept falling off). I am going to try the ones from MKM since the X3 is the same price with 3 tunes. If I don't like them I plan to take Harry 6.0's advice and contact KEM - they charge $50 per tune on their webpage.

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whanner View Post
I got my SCT from mkm customs today and will get it going next week. Still waiting for the transmission rebuild to be finished. I did go back to KEM's web page and they offered almost the same deal. I really wish the sct+kem offering would have stated 3 custom tunes included in bold print. Guess I was sleepy the first time I visited because it didn't register that custom tunes were included. Bullet points help speed readers like myself.

Wes

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I was going to go with KEM as well but he wanted $50 than Gearheads.

06' F350
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I am surprised its that hard to write these tunes...I thought once you had the race or tow file built you could just insert the truck specs and SCT serial number and be done with it....+ or - a few tweaks. Maybe some trucks require so much fine tuning it becomes a burden for the tuner.

06' F350
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Garage
I would guess the initial investment is quite high. We sell software options for equipment at work and lots of $ goes into R&D along with my expensive *** to do the field support. I don't mind paying for premium and since I'm a novice at best look to guys on this site who use their trucks daily and have a lot of experience. I just mis-read the offering at KEM. For $399 I could have gotten the sct with 3 tunes and he comes highly recommended by guys on this site. Innovative diesel also gets alot of good feedback. I figure worse case now I have to go to one of them and buy a couple of tunes and $50 each isn't too bad. Not knocking anyone but if you don't have a reputation then you normally have to go lower price and my guess is that is what these guys are doing to get on the market. Capitalism its cool. I also have to assume sct protects tune shops from having what they developed copied or stolen and resold by other tuner shops.

Hopefully be trying out the sct and tunes next weekend tranny is supposed to be done Monday.

Wes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode