Sct X3 Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by PennyPinchingPowerStroke, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 4010 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Sct X3 Question

I did a "no-no" and bought a used X3 off ebay. The guy said it worked just fine and he never had a problem and had already updated everything. It is unlocked and has 5 unlocks left. When I try to load a tune it gets about 40% through uploading the stock file when it pops up an error message saying it cannot upload stock file. Everything else on it works just fine, reads codes(found none), data logs, etc. Ive tried finding an answer on sct's website but havnt ran across anything. Any idea what would cause this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Garage
Try updating the SCT, the previous owner may have loaded the wrong firmware/tune revision or his PC may have corrupted the firmware/tune revision.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Or call SCT tech help if Lilpooh's suggestion doesn't work. If the device is corrupted it can lose your stock file and malfunction when trying to reload it, then your truck won't run.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 AM

Harry what tunes did you get from KEM. My truck is getting studded, new turbo, and SCT from KEM next week. What horse powere levels did you get? Do you tow with them? What kind of MPG are you seeing with the tunes and turbo? Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting the work done on my truck.

2015 F350 Platinum, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.55, FX4, B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Riderites w/ compressor
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi'sford View Post
Harry what tunes did you get from KEM. My truck is getting studded, new turbo, and SCT from KEM next week. What horse powere levels did you get? Do you tow with them? What kind of MPG are you seeing with the tunes and turbo? Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting the work done on my truck.
Sorry, didn't read this thread again till now. Anyhow, I run an inferred ebp sensor tow tune that matches my Powermax turbo perfectly. I have been running this tune for yrs now due to the fact that it runs so good in any condition, low egt's even during heavy tow, xlnt performance throughout the rpm range, no smoke, 17mpg avg and as high as 20mpg on the highway. My 03' and early 04's, or rather any early trucks that have the icp sensor back under the turbo have an issue with the repeat ebp sensor clogging. These trucks run better without issues by having the ebp sensor "inferred", which means that signal is no longer used in fuel/air delivery calculations, instead it uses the map and mass air flow sensors to calculate air/fuel delivery, which when tuned right, like Mike at KEM does very well, truck runs awesome. I have not run any other tunes since loading this tune as this tune does everything I need with linear power and awesome shifting. The Powermax turbo has less backpressure overall and this allows the truck to breath easier, its capable of flowing lots of air but absolutely requires custom tuning to operate correctly, something that many custom tuners can't seem to get right as I had tried others tuning before Mike at KEM got it spot on the first attempt. Mike can tune you anything from mild to wild, just outline for him what you are looking to achieve with your setup. I highly recommend him to everyone.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Levi'sford (11-20-2012)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks Harry. I've been talking to Mike for over a year. I was waiting until he could custom tune the mini maxx, but that is not gonna happen anytime soon. Just curious, what kind of power are you making? I'm not looking for a drag race or sled puller. How does the Powermax spool with tunes? Do you think I will be okay at elevation. I'm at 7000 or higher 99% of the time.

2015 F350 Platinum, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.55, FX4, B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Riderites w/ compressor
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 AM

Your welcome Levi, glad I can help and hopefully I can answer your questions.

Q. What kind of power am I making?
A. Not sure, haven't had the truck on a dyno, but if I were to guess with the current tuning, I would say easily 80rwhp over stock with the Powermax. The Powermax when tuned right has really good midrange and endless top end power, pulls really consistant all the way through the gears and dosen't flatten out on top, keeps pulling hard from each upshifted gear.

Q. How does the Powermax spool with tunes?
A. Tuned it spools like a stock turbo from a dead start, maybe slightly slower for a split second with my tuning, but is very quick spooling once in the power, and cruising speeds it spools quick and effortlessly, rpms build very quickly. With a semi-hot tune such as IDP's aggressive street tune which my buddies 06' has running with a Powermax, probably is putting out close to 130rwhp over stock, maybe even more, it gets up and moves as quick as a stock turbo with tunes from a dead stop, but pulls much harder throughout the gears and on top. The Powermax is a driving-cruising speed turbo for the most part, it is slightly larger than stock, takes a little more to boost it up, but has a midrange wallop and top end that keeps pulling hard and strong. Its great for driving at highway speeds and pulling long grades, but can also tow as well as a stocker with the right tuning. We pull horses and hay in mountainess terrain with no issues at all.

Q. Do you think I will be ok at elevation, I'm at 7000ft or higher 99% of the time?
A. The tallest grade we pull around here is just over 6000ft, and we live at around 2400ft, and our truck rarely sees under 2000ft. Were on the eastern WA and north Idaho border close to Montana. Truck pulls mountain grades at 70mph much easier with the Powermax than it did with the stock turbo. The Powerrmax is the turbo Garrett designed and thought should belong in the 6.0L. Don't get me wrong, the stock turbos can work well also and are not as finicky to tune, but for myself I would not go back to a stock turbo if given a choice. If most of your driving is slow winding mountain roads at high elevation, then a stock turbo may be a better choice, as its a bit smaller, takes less effort to boost it at low rpms and may be a better option for driving at high elevation. We sometimes tow 4 horses at high elevation on tight winding roads, and with the current tuning it works perfect, maintains steady boost levels and low egt's. So to answer your question...heres my take...if your stock turbo is still ok, then I would try it first with custom tuning, then decide if you need a change, as changing the turbo is not a difficult process and can be done easily with basic hand tools and a couple of 2-3hrs.

Harry

The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Levi'sford (11-22-2012)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 AM

Truck is going in next week for following mods

APR studs and machined heads
Ford Gaskets
Powermax Turbo
FS2500 bypass oil filtration kit
Air Dog
Strictly Diesel Regulated Return
Edge CTS monitor
SCT from KEM

Mini Max for sale!

Also looking for winning powerball ticket!

The Following User Says Thank You to Levi'sford For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (11-30-2012)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 AM

Picking up my truck in the morning. Ended up doing everything but the bypass oil. Just ran out of money. Owner of the shop didn't think the street tune ran very strong. I will most likely run the tow tune as you do Harry. Will report tomorrow after I get it back. They had it running when I stopped by and that power max definitely will whistle while it works!

The Following User Says Thank You to Levi'sford For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (12-14-2012)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Sounds like you got your truck in great shape Levi. Keep me posted on your results.

Harry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode