Turbo questions,, - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by UnderpressureNM, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 2627 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Underpressure76nm

Garage
Thumbs down Turbo questions,,

My truck is leaking air from the turbo housing clamp holes what does this mean? Truck has literally no power ,,,won't get up and go,,,,was driving real easy yesterday and went to pass and the truck just wouldn't go,,,any helps appreciated thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderpressureNM View Post
My truck is leaking air from the turbo housing clamp holes what does this mean?
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying that the short hose that attaches at the turbo (outlet) & CAC (intercooler) pipe is leaking air?

If that is what you're saying, it isn't uncommon for a leak to develop there. It can be from a torn hose or even 'blow off' under boost. If you are leaking air, the engine isn't getting boost. A leak will turn your engine into a gutless wonder.

Only solution is to replace the damaged hose and/or clamps. When doing that, make sure that both the turbo outlet & cac pipe is throughly clean of any oil.

04 F350 Lariat 6.0 TorqShift CrewCab Dually Longbed
Updated turbo feed/drain, blue spring, ARP Studs, MBRP dp & exhaust, Spearco intercooler, BPD EGR, CCV mod, FICMrepair with Atlas 40, DC Power 185, Riffraff boots, 2008 tranny pan & filter, Final Charge ELC, Scan Gauge 2, KYB Monomax
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Dieseld

Garage
Send a message via AIM to deiseld Send a message via MSN to deiseld
My truck just started whistling like a tea kettle, just driving normal. Im new to the powerstroke game, and I bought my truck off a Diesel performance mechanic. Of course I can't get a hold of him!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Dieseld

Garage
Doesn't seem like any power loss either? I just didn't notice it being that loud when I bought it??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Whistling like a tea kettle, hopefully it's not whistling out of the coolant cap on the degas bottle, if so you likely have head gasket issues.

If it's just turbo whistle when idling or taking off and runs fine, then that's what they do with a freeflowing exhaust, cooler weather can be a factor too, nothing to worry about.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Dieseld

Garage
Thanks brotha. I hope your right. It always whistles. At idle,and just going slow too. Smokes a bit when at idle. Other than that,its a damn fast truck. My first built Powerstroke. So Im pretty clueless on whats right or not with it.All I know is that its got a Garrett Powermax turbo, 4" dwnpipe w/a 6" exhaust, S&B cold air, driven diesel regulated return fuel sytem, egr delete, F.I.C.M. tuned w/100hp shot, SCT tuner,ARP Head studs w/black onyx head gaskets. Stage 2 trans.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:45 PM

The Garret PowerMax turbo can whistle much louder than most stock turbo's. Stock 03' yr model turbos like my old original one had a loud whistle with a free flowing exhaust, my current PowerMax whistles much the same. When we installed a Powermax on my buddies 06' his whistles loud now too. PowerMax turbo without question can whistle like a jet. They also need tuning with FICM and or SCT to perform correctly. I've had my PowerMax installed for many years now and it has been trouble free.

If your smoking at idle and it's black smoke, then it's likely just over fueled a bit from the tuning and or larger injector nozzles...which is highly likely since you have regulated return system, as long as it clears up when driving you should be fine.

If your smoke is whitish-gray smoke and smells like raw diesel fuel, then you have a bad injector-s.

Excessive black smoke while driving and lack of power can also indicate a bad injector that's over fueling or a compressed air boot-intercooler leak or poor turbo performance.

And yes, a performance modded 6.0L like yours can be fast. Just keep an eye on all the vitals.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)

Last edited by harry6.0; 11-23-2016 at 12:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
Smoker (03-24-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in